Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D5G XL, replaced left drive with CAT reman, now the left…

D5G XL, replaced left drive...
D5G XL, replaced left drive with CAT reman, now the left track is always wanting to go in high, while the right side goes slower. Also, I need the adjustment procedure for the accel and decel cables. Had to install new ones.
1/26/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. what is your serial number?

I am showing 5 different serial number breaks for this model

Deceleration Pedal - Test... D3G, D4G and D5G Track-Type Tractors Electrohydraulic Caterpillar

Note: Ensure that the test for the service brake pedal has been completed before you perform the test for the deceleration pedal. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Service Brake Pedal - Test". Failure to perform the test for the service brake pedal could result in problems with subsequent tests.

1. Ensure that the communication adapter is connected.

1. Enter the machine.

1. Fasten the seat belt.

1. Start the engine and increase the engine speed to HIGH IDLE.

1. Depress the service brake.

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Select the lowest maximum ground speed.

1. Move the speed and direction control to the FORWARD position.

1. Slowly release the service brake.

1. Fully depress the deceleration pedal.

1. Check the engine speed, the left motor speed, and the right motor speed. Record the results onto the worksheets. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Worksheets - Troubleshoot".

1. The engine speed should be 850 ± 50 rpm.

1. The left motor speed should be 0 to 20 rpm.

1. The right motor speed should be 0 to 20 rpm.

1. Move the speed and direction control to the HOLD position.

1. Release the deceleration pedal.

1. Decrease engine speed to LOW IDLE.

1. Engage the parking brake.

1. Stop the engine.

1. Move all of the controls in order to relieve any pressure within the hydraulic systems.

1. Exit the machine.

If the motor speeds are not within specifications, recalibrate the deceleration pedal. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Sensor Position (Decel Pedal) - Calibrate". Then, perform the test for the deceleration pedal again.

1. Proceed to the implement stall test. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Implement Stall - Test".

Do not remove any hoses or the communication adapter at this time.

Let me know the serial number so I can be sure you get the correct info. but this one covers 3 of the 5 options

MKH03564
Can you please send me the test information it was talking about, for the Service Brake Pedal?

Is this a grey market? Cat SIS doesnt show that serial number for a D5G

Caterpillar D5G FDH

Caterpillar D5G FDW

Caterpillar D5G RKG

Caterpillar D5G WGB

Caterpillar D5G LGP D5G

I was trying to dissect your serial number so I can look it up for you.

that is themIt’s owned by a mill, we are fixing it for them, not sure if it is grey Market of not

Okay. I need to see if I can pull up the adjustments on those.... If not Ill pass this along to others on the site.

Ok thanks
  1. Remove three bolts (1) and washers.

1. Remove engine access panel (2) .

Note: The deceleration pedal must be fully depressed during the entire adjustment procedure.

1. Move the governor control fully to the LOW IDLE position.

Illustration 2g00851315

1. Remove cotter pin (8), clevis pin (7) and washer (4) .

1. Loosen locknut (6) .

1. While the deceleration pedal is fully depressed, adjust clevis (5) so that the hole in clevis (5) aligns with the corresponding hole in governor plate (3) .

1. Install clevis pin (7), washer (4) and cotter pin (8) .

1. Tighten locknut (6) to a torque of 8 ± 3 N·m (71 ± 27 lb in).

1. Release the deceleration pedal.

1. Verify that the deceleration pedal operates within the specifications. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Deceleration Pedal - Test".

Preparations for Checking Engine Speed

Table 1

REQUIRED TOOLS

Part Number Description Quantity

Laptop Computer with Electronic Technician (ET) 1

7X-1700 or 171-4400 Communication Adapter Group 1

7X-1425 (1) Adapter Cable 1

(###) ###-####(1) Data Link Cable Assembly 1 (###) ###-####(2) Serial Cable 1 (###) ###-####(2) Data Link Cable Assembly 1

( 1 ) This cable is used with the 7X-1700 Communication Adapter Group .

( 2 ) This cable is used with the 171-4400 Communication Adapter Group .

Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Tooling Preparation" for additional information for tooling assembly and for alternate methods of testing.

High Idle Adjustment

1. Ensure that the engine start switch key is in the OFF position.

1. Move the governor control lever to the HIGH IDLE position.

1. Exit the machine.

Illustration 3g01018357

1. Remove three bolts (1) and washers.

1. Remove access panel (2) .

Illustration 4g01020206

1. Remove the cotter pin from pin (6) .

1. Remove pin (6) from clevis (4) .

1. Loosen jam nut (7) .

1. Move governor lever (5) against HIGH IDLE stop (3) .

Note: Maintain this position for the rest of this procedure.

1. Adjust clevis (4) so that the clevis is properly aligned with governor lever (5) .

1. Install pin (6) and install a new cotter pin.

1. Tighten jam nut (7) .

1. Verify that the cable is adjusted properly for HIGH IDLE.

1. Ensure that the laptop computer is connected to the data port. Refer to "Preparations for Checking Engine Speed".

1. Enter the machine.

1. Fasten the seat belt.

1. Note the engine speed. The engine speed should be 2400 ± 40 rpm. If the engine speed is not within the specification, repeat Step 1 through Step 8.

1. Decrease engine speed to LOW IDLE and stop the engine.

1. Exit the machine.

1. If the engine speed at LOW IDLE is correct, install the engine access panel.

Low Idle Adjustment

1. Exit the machine.

Illustration 5g01018357

1. Remove three bolts (1) and washers.

1. Remove access panel (2) .

Illustration 6g01020560

1. Slowly move the governor control lever until governor lever (3) contacts the LOW IDLE stop (4) .

Illustration 7g01020563

1. Remove four bolts (5) and washers.

1. Remove plate (6) .

Illustration 8g01020562

1. Ensure that surface (A) of pedal assembly (9) contacts the bottom of stop bolt (7). If necessary, adjust the stop bolt.

1. Loosen jam nut (8) .

1. Turn stop bolt (7) until the bottom of stop bolt (7) contacts surface (A) .

1. Tighten jam nut (8) .

1. Verify that the stop bolt for LOW IDLE is adjusted properly.

1. Enter the machine.

1. Fasten the seat belt.

1. Note the engine speed. The engine speed should be 850 ± 50 rpm. If the engine speed is not within the specification, repeat Step 1 through Step 10.

1. Exit the machine.

1. Install the engine access panel and install the plate.

Click here for the illustrations.

Service info

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Ok, so if this is misadjusted, is that going to cause the machine to not want to drive both tracks the same speed?It won’t drive straight, the left side wants to go full out all the time. When you push the decel, it wants to start going, and then you let off and it will just spin the left side while the right side is slow.

That is correct. Once the cables are adjusted the sensors need to be calibrated using a laptop with Cat ET as shown above.

Ok thank you!

Pleasure to help. there should be a place to rate or accept on your screen as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site.

Dan, Technician