Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have 301s grader with a 4 speed trans. SR# 25HR28412a My…

I have clark 301s grader...
I have clark 301s grader with a clark 4 speed trans. SR# *****
My problem is, it is full of oil but will not move at all. Charge pump shows 290 psi, replacerd the oil filter also.
1/24/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

When did transmission quit? Does the control valve have a declutch valve? To cut transmission out when using the hydraulics moving the blade.etc?

ok
do you have any ideas
When did transmission quit? Does the control valve have a declutch valve? To cut transmission out when using the hydraulics moving the blade.etc?24 Jan

Can you see my response?

the guy that was running the grader told me it was running fine. he shut down for the day and on start up the next day i would not go.
Bear with me. i have little exp. with this trans.
the only place i can see where the hyd. system ties to this trans. is a line from the trans shifter valve to the brakes

That would be the line to the inching valve! The valve at the transmission cover would be place to check, Valve stuck or spring broken,

I pulled the inching valve the piston moved freely and the spring was in good shape.
When shifting in and out of gear there is no change can't feal anything and the engine dose not pull down.
Also i pulled the trans temp sensor (it is on the road side of the unit with the trans oil line going to the trans. cooler)
the line had oil in it but there was no flow when running.

You had the 290 psi in the top port of the transmission pump block? Shift spool , is it manual or is it a solenoid shifted version of the HR?

Only thing that makes sense, is the inching valve, it doesn't have pressure to it when the engine is running?

The psi gauge is in the filter loop on the back of the charge pump. I pulled the charge pump and the regulater block all the pistons and springs where in good shape. The charge pump gears are also in good shape.
the inching valve only had psi when the brakes where prest

It has pressure, that is not issue. Go back and see if the inching valve has pressure when the engine is running, If it does, remove the line and see if transmission works!

Sorry the trans shifter is cable operated and i had somone watch them as i shifted threw all gears, forward and revers all where good
Qiuck point i dont have any oil flow to the trans. cooler.
Dose oil flow to the cool only when in gear?

No pressure to the inching valve? Cooler should have flow anytime engine is running, Torque converter out should be cooler in.

ok looks like i have torque converter problem.
is there anything i can check relating to this with out pulling the trans.

Torque converter is turning, or transmission pump would not have pressure, did you loosen both cooler lines, to be sure you have the correct one, as cooler return also goes to TC housing. I hate to say it again, but inching valve could have pressure to it and is bypassing fluid!

I worked for The old Clark Michigan company as a field service engineer and the HR28000 transmission os tough and doesn't just quit from one-day to the next.

Only other thing it has is a modulator valve that lets fluid slowly fill the clutch packs when you shift gears, to cushion the shuft.

Ok the story i got came from the operater not the owner of the unit. some times peaple tell fish tales when thing brake.
So we are on the same page, the inching valve is part of the shift valve correct. so looking at the shift valve there is the forward and revers spool then the inching valve spool then the gear select spool. all one valve?
When i checked the cooler flow i had the temp senser completely out oil was there but no flow when engine was running

Yes, inching valve is part of the shift cover as is the modulator valve, and the f/r shift and the speed select spool. And with the transmission, it has to have a directional clutch and a speed clutch engaged to move.

Ok i guess my next move will be to pull it off and make shur all is well.
is there anything else you can think of.
is it ok if i leave this open i will be working on it tomorrow but dont have intermet where the unit is will be later tomorrow before i can get back

IS there a strainer on the side of the transmission dropbox that would be accessible to check for any metal in the system? Other than that, not sure where to go next.

it dose i havent checked it. i did pull a small sample of oil buy pulling the drain plug quick.
oil didnt look or smell bernt. there where some small thin metal flakes. i didnt thing thay where significant.

OK> Let me know what you find,

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician