Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a New Holland LB&% backhoe w/ 4wd. I replaced a

I have a New...

I have a New Holland LB&% backhoe w/ 4wd. I replaced a rusted leaking pressure relief valve on my bucket control. I lost loader and backhoe hydraulics, but had steering. I refilled the hydraulic tank and cycled the loader and backhoe to where they function normally. I now have no power steering, and can't cycle it like the other hydraulics. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I have a New Holland LB 75 backhoe w/ 4wd. I recently replaced a rusted leaking pressure relief valve on the bucket control. With low fluid, I lost backhoe and loader functions. I refilled the hydraulic tank and cycled the loader and backhoe to where they function normally. Then I lost power steering. I tried to cycle it but have not been able to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it...

1/23/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

There is a valve block with solenoids at the front axle, Have you loosened lines at his valve to see if the fluid is getting to the system? Are the solenoids getting battery voltage to open the circuits? See link below.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I haven't tried that...I assumed I had air in the hydraulic steering pump...
Phone call session started

Bleed it at the valve on the front axle. Thanks!

when I bled the lines at the front axel I got some fluid, but no pressure.

Remove the hose from the steering gear and install a gage, and test for pressure.

The back side of the hydraulic pump is flow control valve, that should send pressure to the steering, The valve may be stuck or the spring broken. Valve is the lower left in the attached picture.