Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1985 cat d3b dozer. I have a simple question on…

I have a 1985 cat...
I have a 1985 cat d3b dozer. I have a simple question on what the 1 ½ bolt is for on the left side of the engine between the engine and the air filter intake hose?
1/20/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi John

I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

can you send a Pic of the bolt, please

I cannot. Maybe Monday I will be able to. It sits flat up and looks like a fill port. It is attached to the engine and is midway up the engine. The air intake hose from the air filter is attached to that part of the engine. I was wondering if this was some type of check point or an actual secondary oil fill port or leveling port.

HI

It is just so hard to say, need to see what you are talking about

I do not want to give a wrong answer

I can wait until Monday for a Pic

I found a similar one, but this one I can't see the bolt. It is a 1 ½" x 1" deep bolt that is stainless on the interior and looks like an oil port type bolt. I have felt inside to the left and it appears to lead into the engine, but the right side is the air intake from the air filter. I drew a black spot where it sits on my machine.
this one looks a bit more like it and it would sit where the back bolt is in the middle. This bolt looks like a 5/8ths. My is a full 1 ½"

Hi

Thank you for the Pics

That is a thermister bolt, , that small black line is the ether start

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

The bolt I am referring to isn't the one with a line that goes in to it. And it is large.
does oil periodically come up through there when compression is high, or does that imply there may be a problem?

Morning John

that bolt goes into the intake there

if you have oil coming from it that is saying that you have

worn cylinders and getting blow by there

Wayne, Journeyman
Ok. Thank you.

you're welcome