Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a deere 550 dozer with british twin disc forward

Customer Question
I have a john deere...
I have a john deere 550 dozer with british twin disc forward gears work fine when I put in reverse any gear it acts like pressure is low eventually it will engage and move about 15 feet and stop and repeat process if you pull any steering lever it will stop imediatly, I have changed filter and suction screen was cleaned recently, spool vale?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

****************

1/21/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. There is not enough information or pressure testing results to come to a conclusion whether it is a valve or internal leakage or clutch issue causing your problem. I see you replaced the filter and cleaned the screen. Do you still have the old one? What was in the screen? Metal, friction material, etc? This is a common mistake made when self diagnosing of getting rid of an important part of troubleshooting. The old filter tells a story if metal/debris is found inside once opened up for sampling. The idea of just changing filters sounds logical but you have to open up the old one to see what is going on. If the old filter wasnt checked internally, what was in the screen? Let me know

I changed the filter before this problem existed when I had a brake camed over due to being out of adjustment only replaced filter because it was easy to get to with battery box and fuel tank off

Thanks for the update. If before this problem there will be metal/debris in the new filter if an internal mechanical problem is occurring now. Check for that and for oil discoloration and burnt smell.

Check the pressures as well to see if they are in OEM specs to isolate a control valve or excessive internal leakage.

Trans main PSI 255 +-12

Lube clutches engaged 30 PSI

Converter out 60-110 PSI

trans min pump flow 22gpm

cooler min flow 15gpm

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

where did you find the 30 psi pressure and where are you checking that at also is this at high idle

Lube pressure is basically everything left over/case /return pressure for cooling and lubrication. It is the first to drop off when there is internal leakage or a pump issue etc. Yes it is at high RPM and clutches engaged.

I seem to be having PC troubles today. Click this link and type your model, use the sectional index and go to the transmission section for the control valve. On the vale there are pipe plugs 1/8". Take pressures from each of those... One should be lube....

Parts

this is a waste of time already tore it down and found worn clutch discs

Okay David. Im here and you are there. I worked for Nortrax and rebuilt many HLR, transmissions and steering clutches in Deere equipment as well as Cat and many others. I am here and you are there. I can go by what you tell me and this is what you gave me. "I have a john deere 550 dozer with british twin disc forward gears work fine when I put in reverse any gear it acts like pressure is low eventually it will engage and move about 15 feet and stop and repeat process if you pull any steering lever it will stop imediatly, I have changed filter and suction screen was cleaned recently, spool vale?"

So your next response after I gave you the pressure specs and info is? okay I tested that and it is okay and the transmission is operating fine...... My next response.... Pull the drive pinion gear covers above the finals on each side and see if the pinions are turning.... No???? Do the clutches and brakes. I also sent over a phone offer to get on the phone to go over the info faster. Glad you got it resolved but you never followed up with me on test results.

get a real job

Have a repair business David... Thanks for your opinion... Professionals don't work for the site. We volunteer our time here to help those who need some direction when they are lost and can't figure it out on their own willing to participate in dialogue to come to a solution or they are simply homeowners who can't afford something newer than 35 years old or a repair manual. It helps when there is dialogue. I see you are participating in that now. Unfortunately participation trophies are becoming a thing of the past.

By the way look at my first response to you. I said CLUTCHES as one potential cause. Thanks for taking my information and turning it into your own idea.

Me