Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I had the starter rebuilt on my 97 953c, reinstalled starter…

I had the starter...

I had the starter rebuilt on my 97 953c, reinstalled starter and machine cranks fine but it wont start, like the fuel shutoff is not opening

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2zn01237

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I put starter back on and am sure the wiring is right but it wont start

1/20/2018
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Sorry, you wired the starter wrong.

The blue wire does not go on the battery post of the starter solenoid. It goes on the motor post of the solenoid.

This is to send the voltage to the start terminal of the shutdown solenoid only during cranking.

The stop terminal of the shutdown solenoid should always have power when the key is off. If not check your fuses.

The GRD terminal of the shutdown solenoid is for ground.

Thr blue wire is on the motor post

Do you have power to the start terminal of the shutdown solenoid during cranking?

I have not checked that but there is no power to any post on shutdown solenoid with key off

Look closely at the back of the shutdown solenoid and you will see the markings, GRD for ground, START for the blue wire from the starter motor post and STOP for the purple (sometimes pink) small wire from the key switch. (I am assuming you still have the factory key switch installed.)

The STOP wire is powered by the key switch when the key is off. The START wire only receives power when cranking and the ground must be connected to a chassis ground.

If you do not have power to the stop wire when the key is off, the engine will not shut down. Check for a broken wire from the key switch, this wire is marked 326 and is from the key switch to the shutdown solenoid. No fuse or other switches on this serial number.

If you do not have power on the START during cranking, check for a broken wire directly from the starter motor post.

Verify the ground is good, you should have less than 1 ohm of resistance to chassis ground.

The shutdown solenoid is a "LATCHING" type solenoid. The voltage from the cranking of the starter will "pull in" the solenoid to latch it in the run position.

The stop terminal has an internal timer to prevent battery drain after the stop has been energized.

I hope this is helpful. If you need more information about this. please let me know.

You are the first person I have chatted with that knew where to put the blue wire. I have been to dozens of field calls where customers have just placed it on the wrong post to the point it is always my first guess as to what is wrong.

Thank you this is helpful I took a picture before removing wires I have stopprd for yhe night and will continue tomorrow again Thanks

Ok, great. I am glad I could help.

I will be out some during the day but I should be able to reply if you need more help.

Just let me know and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician