Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1992 Case 580 Super K Construction Backhoe. We are…

Customer Question
I have a 1992...

I have a 1992 Case 580 Super K Construction King Backhoe. We are having trouble priming the injection pump. We prime the low pressure side of the pump, but when we turn the engine over there is no fuel coming out of the high pressure side. This is a newly rebuilt injection pump. Is there a fuel shutoff solonoid and how is it activated?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1992 Case 580 Super K Construction King, Ser. # JAB0017593

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The previous injection pump was doing the same thing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/12/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Does engine kill with key? If it does, there is a fuel shutoff solenoid, and it would be at the injection pump. A single wire with battery voltage to open it is needed.

The solenoid is mounted on the bottom of the end with the injection lines.

The engine kills with a key. The wire from the solenoid attaches to a sensor on the engine block. How does that work? Can I bypass it somehow?

Take a jumper from the battery positive to the solenoid. That should let solenoid work and the engine should start. It may be wired through an oil pressure switch and the oil pressure switch would have to have power to it, then it would close as the engine is cranked and energize the fuel solenoid.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician