Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a cat 963 loader.code indicator light started

I have a cat...

I have a cat 963 loader.code indicator light started flashing and buzzing.retreived codes. most are history codes but one is a component identifier code.machine operates just fine now.recently replaced thermostat because overheating. that problem is corrected,recently rebuily both pumps and drive motors,.i need to know definitions of codes and procedure for clearing old codes so things are not so confusing.codes are as follows;030-(0248.02,0324.05),036-(0562.09,0296.09),079-(0132.08,0133.12,0168.03,0168.04).

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Machine appears to be operating correctly.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Active codes will not clear from memory and Cat ET ( Electronic technician) Software on a laptop is needed to clear codes or monitor live data or change parameters, perform calibrations, etc. Do you have Cat ET access? I will need some time to pull these codes up for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Want to clear history codes. That way active codes are only present. All I want is code definitions. If you don't have access you are wasting my time.

I have code definitions and was field service for Cat. There is no need for an attitude

Im going to opt out and pass.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No attitude just facts!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Either you know definitions or don't. 2 part codes. System then sub category
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I hope this will be helpful.

030-(0248.02,0324.05),

036-(0562.09,0296.09),

079-(0132.08,0133.12,0168.03,0168.04).

MODULE IDENTIFIER (MID)

030 = Cat Monitor System

036 = Engine Control

079 = Hydrostatic Transmission Control

COMPONENT IDENTIFIER (CID)

132 = Transmission pilot pressure supply sensor

133 = Transmission pilot pressure supply solenoid

168 = Electrical System Voltage

248 = Cat Data Link

296 = Transmission Control

596 = Implement Control

FAILURE MODE IDENTIFIER (FMI)

0 "High"

1 "Low"

2 "Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect"

3 "Voltage Above Normal"

4 "Voltage Below Normal"

5 "Current Below Normal"

6 "Current Above Normal"

7 "Not Responding Properly"

8 "Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period"

9 "Abnormal Update Rate"

10 "Abnormal Rate of Change"

11 "Other Failure Mode"

12 "Failure"

13 "Out of Calibration"

14 "Special Instruction"

19 "Data Error"

20 "Data Drifted High"

21 "Data Drifted Low"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read in another publication that 133 represented the override solenoid.the serial # for my machine is bbd00393, and that 132 was the override pressure sensor.this is very important because the 12 means that the component is bad.i would therefore deduce that it would cause the pressure sensor to read incorrectly. are you sure 133 and 132 represent pilot solenoid and sensor?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your response. the 12 means that either the override solenoid or the pilot solenoid is bad and I need to know which part to replace.thank you again.

With the serial number, I can find a more specific troubleshooting information. The above list is from a gen***** *****st.

MID 079 CID 0132 FMI 08

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

This diagnostic code is associated with the pressure sensor (override). The FMI 08 means that the ECM has determined that the signal frequency or the signal pulse width is not within the expected range.

The output frequency of the pressure sensor is approximately 500 Hertz. The duty cycle of the signal increases as the pressure of the oil increases and the duty cycle decreases as the pressure decreases. The range of the duty cycle is from 10% to 94 %.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

The sensor has failed.

Intermittent connections or poor connections

Mechanical devices are loose.

The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

MID 079 CID 0133 FMI 12

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM has determined that the solenoid has not responded in the proper manner.

The solenoid has failed in the high-pressure position.

The machine harness has failed.

The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

In my troubleshooting experience, failures are more likely to be related to damaged wiring or poor connections. I never assume the part has failed first. However, it is always a good idea to have these parts with you for testing purposes but, most dealers will not take returns on electrical parts.

As with all CAT track machines, the monitor will display the words SERV CODE with active codes. If the words are not present, then the code is logged (old).

Even if the code is logged, you may need to operate the machine to duplicate the problem before the code becomes active again.

Same as you would troubleshoot a light the was reported on by the operator but, is off when you restart the machine. Some warning lights are on timed delay before they become active.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your information.It confirms information I already knew.if I had not done my research I would have been misled by your information.you should have asked me for machine id first.-my fault also.the one thing I need to know is how to clear history codes.i see there is a clear switch under the right arm rest.i assume all I have to do is turn key on and activate the clear code switch and it is done. if this is incorrect would you let me proper procedure?you did not mention that a faulty override solenoid would cause improper readings at the pressure sensor.i would think that this would be very logical.what do you thimk?
the solenoid could cause the inaccuracy at the sensor.
To clear codes, hold both switches to select mode 3 for diagnostic codes then scroll through the codes and clear the logged faults.
The BOT should ask for machine information at the beginning of the post. I don’t know why it didn’t but, I don’t have any control of the website.
I am sure you have dealt with CAT enough to know you can’t get anything done without the serial numbers. It’s amazing to me how many people have CAT machines and have no clue where the serial number is *****
I hope this has been helpful for you. If you need anything else, please let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Great. Glad I could help you.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician