Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 322bl sn 8nr00291. It will swing left but wont…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a cat 322bl sn 8nr00291. It will swing left but wont brake but wont swing right but will brake, I've installed new solenoids front and back on the swing motor and swapped the cross over teleif valves with no change in symptoms. However the auto idle will not work now. There is a green light on the ecu. Regards Adrian

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

322bl sn 8nr00291

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The machine has a hydraulic thumb fitted and the plunger seals failed around the same time the swing problem occurred. Coincidence or some of the remnants have interfered with a solenoid or pressure switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thankyou

1/11/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

What do you have for fault codes logged in the monitor or if you can assess with Cat ET?

If swapping the crossover reliefs did not move the problem, tee in and check the pressure from the control valve to the swing motor in both directions as it sounds like maybe a control valve problem or a relief valve. check the reliefs and the control valve spool for debris, damage, etc.

Also check if there is pilot pressure from a possible stuck pilot control plunger sticking in the joystick control causing constant pilot pressure shifting the swing spool in the main control valve.

We can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Ok will follow-up and let you know

Pleasure to help.

Hi Dan, seems to be plenty of pilot pressure to the control bank. I'm in the field at the moment so I don't have guages with me but cracked supply lines to swing motor and port A has a lot less pressure than port B. Pulled the valve out of the control bank and it seemed fine. I'll go through the fault codes now. Adrian

If there is enough slack in the hoses try crossing them to see if the problem changes directions for further confirmation. Keep me posted

Ok will do, what pressure is acceptable going into the swing motor and also what should the pilot pressure be? Just going to put some guages on it now. Thanks Adrian

Hi Adrian. Pilot pressure will be somewhere around 550-600 PSI range. I do not have the main pressure and circuit specs handy at the moment but most important, you want to see if there is a difference between left and right swing with it deadheaded (bucket in the ground or lines capped after the gauge, etc ) You might see 2500 PSI or better but expect to see close to the same on right and left.

Hi Dan, 3100 on one hose 0 on the other going into swing motor. My guage only went to 360 on the pilot on top of the control bank and 0 on the bottom pilot line, I am now pulling joystick apart and checking that
Sorry Dan, I had the guage on the wrong pilot line!! I'm getting 400psi to both pilot lines
Hi Dan is there a possibility it could be a pressure switch failing hence the auto idle not working? I've replaced the swing implement switch on right side of control bank (I had a spare one) to no avail. There is another pressure switch on the left side pn(###) ###-#### Just thinking out loud. Thanks Adrian

There is 0 even when trying to swing the other way? If so, check the control valve spool and also the pilot control pressure... Try swapping pilot lines from a good function with the one reading 0 and see if it will control that function and allow swing for test purposes.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Hi Dan, still going, I haven't had a chance to get back to it. The hydraulic thumb cylinder was pretty much destroyed internally and there were alot of seal remnants in the tank filter. My next step was to swap pilot lines from another function, the closest is the LH travel spool. I'm tending to think there is a problem with one of the 4 relief valves on the swing motor . I will get back to it asap and get back to you. Thanks Adrian

thanks for the update Adrian. Sounds like some trash might have gotten into the control valve and reliefs in other parts of the system. Recommend pulling them and inspecting the valves and cartridges for trash or damaged o rings.

Hi Dan, I changed the pilot lines from the lh travel spool still no success, the swing control operates the track both directions normally and the foot pedal operates the swing control but with the same problem. I've removed the 4 relief valves from the swing motor and there is no visible damage or foreign matter. Could it be one of the solenoids on the swing motor??

Thanks for the update. Check in the solenoid valves for debris and verify power to the solenoids as well. the swing brake holds once stopped with spring force on the friction disks top of the swing motor. The crossover reliefs are what create a hydraulic braking force to slow and stop swing.

Dan, Technician
Hi Dan, I ended up sourcing a used swing motor from a donor machine, swapped it out and runs fine. Must be some debris fouling the friction discs inside the motor as you suggested. I will now get the old one stripped down and get it rebuilt to have as a backup. Thanks for your help. Regards Adrian

Thanks for the update and glad you got it resolved.