Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have 216B Cat skid steer. Travels fine forward and

Customer Question
reverse. When loading on trailer...
I have 216B Cat skid steer. Travels fine forward and reverse. When loading on trailer at idle the machine will stop. Rev engine a little then right side moves but left side jerks trying to go. No noise and I have side cover off viewing chain and sprockets nothing is slipping. Will same when counter rotating
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/11/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I have seen many machines perform the same way. It is a normal condition. The pump controls are designed for operation at full throttle. All flow settings and controls are set at full throttle. The system is designed to allow control at lower speeds but, it is not expected to perform exactly the same.

The main concern CAT focuses on is, does the machine stay stationary when the control is in the neutral position (at full throttle). As long as the machine does not try to move, the rest is just as close as they can set it with all the variables that can affect control. Tracking is checked over a straight flat and firm 100-foot course and the machine can deviate 3 feet before it is considered a problem.

I would recommend you tighten your chains if you found any slack, the rear set usually stretches more than the front and this can affect control. Also, keep your tires the same size. If you notice the rear tires are wearing faster than the front, rotate them to keep wear height as close as possible. Tires of different heights can also affect control and cause uneven wear on your bucket cutting edge.

If the machine is very hard to control, you may need to have the pumps flow tested with a flowmeter to see if they are failing.

You should also check your filter by replacing it and cutting open the old filter for a detailed inspection. This can help you see if any metal is coming from the hydraulic system, indicating a failure.

I disagree that this is common. This machine has never done this. It's always loaded fine just above idle. If you go wide open throttle loading it like it is now it'll throw you off the trailer!!! I've got 35 yrs experience with hydro stats and never had them act this way. My experience is JD and hydroax. I just don't know what pressure port or what pressures should be. This acts like a sticking awash plate.

Ok, I understand. I will OPT-OUT so others can help you better.

I'm pulling transmission tomorrow to take to hyd. Shop. Thanks for trying tho.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If the swash plate is sticking the the pumps will be most likely producing metal which be found in the return hydraulic filter. Cut it open for inspection for fine metal/debris that would confirm this as well as a pressure and flow check. Test your current pressures and flows and let me know what you are getting. By chance do you have any fault codes logged or warning indicators? Also please post your serial number. I was field service for Cat before going independent. I se you have Deere equipment as well. I worked for Nortrax before going to Cat and Volvo/Komatsu before that if you need help on other equipment in the future

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

wheel motor was bad. Got half the pump too. Thanks
Thanks for the update and I'm glad that you got this resolved just be sure to make sure there's no contamination in the rest of the system and it's cleaned out real good before running the new pump and motor. There should be a place to leave a 5-star rating or except on your screen as that is how the website credits the professionals that help on the site since we aren't employees of the site