Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a New Holland lb 115 backhoe. When r. I have a New…

Hi I have...

Hi I have a New Holland lb 115 backhoe . When r

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Hi I have a New Holland lb 115 backhoe. When the machine gets to working temp it lacks power . If u put it against a tree and conduct a stall test it will only rev out to 1300 revs and it should be doing 2200 revs Have had the fuel pump replaced and all injectors done at the same time . The machine is getting hot also any suggestions would be great

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have purchased the machine 4 years ago and had a leaking tell hole on the fuel pump so had it serviced and the injectors at the same time machine has 7200 hours on it . Have pressure tested a

1/10/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Can you make a test line from the fuel pump inlet line, and drop it into the fuel tank filler , bypassing everything up to the fuel primer pump, then run test. You may have blockage before the transfer pump and shows up as low power and low rpm when needed.

Hi Curtis will do that and see how we go Have pressure tested all of the ports on the torque converter and all come back fine so no dramas there

Yes, engine problem , TC would let engine race, not pul down.

Have made a test line with an auxiliary fuel tank and goes direct into fuel primer pump and conducted stall test and no change the machine won't spin the wheels when u conduct stall test Could the fuel pump being mistimed cause these troubles

Does engine smoke or show signs of being hard to start? If injection pump was out of time, usually you get lots of smoke or none!

This has the electric primer on top of the fuel filter? It can be the problem in itself. Can you bypass it using an electric pump to feed the injection pump for the test?

Machine starts fine and does blow a bitvof smoke when loaded up but nothing out of the ordinary
Will see what I can do about by passing the electric fuel pump and feeding it straight into the injection pump

OK> From what was taught and have seen in the past, low rpm and low power are an engine problem, not the drivetrain. And my concern is to be sure the injection pump is getting adequate fuel supply and that the turbocharger is working.

How do o verify that the turbo charger is working

All you can do is a visual test, remove the intake end so you can get to the blades, and with the engine OFF turn blades by hand, should turn and spin freely.

Ok will look into both and get back to you thanks James

OK>

Have no passed the electric lift pump and filter with the auxiliary line and put fuel straight into the injection pump and no Change in the machine Will get a boost gauge and pull the intake of the turbo once I get the machine back to workshop Any other suggestions The fuel system has now all being done

No, other than the turbocharger, not making boost, injection pump could be the fault, by not increasing fuel flow on demand for maximum power.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
That is about all we can do I think Curtis. I will get a boost gauge and check turbo over and if nothing comes up there will have to look into the injection pump

Thank you