Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Why is the swing motor becoming over full with oil.

Customer Question
Why is the swing...

Why is the swing motor becoming over full with oil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Checking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i have not tried anything yet. 312 bl 8jr01560

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hydrolics are running hotter than normal

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/9/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 month ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

It is likely your swing drive motor has a leaking seal. However, this could be related to other issues.

Excessive pressure in the swing drive motor can also come damaged travel motors or the swing motor itself has some internal damage.

You should begin by looking at you case drain filter. This is the middle sized filter that catches debris from the motor case drain lines.

Is some rare cases, the swivel joint (rotary joint) in the middle of the machine can have failed seals and this too can cause excessive case pressure.

The overheating issue is strange but, could be related to the case pressure being too high as the motor leakage could be too high and the machine must work harder to move. Often overheating is due to air flow. Verify the fan speed is turning with the engine and the belts are not slipping. Also, check your seals around the radiator and under the hood. All must be in place for proper air flow.

If you find metal in the filter or any of your filters, serious damage is in on of the motors. NOTE: Some pumps also are connected to the case drain filter and it can also over pressurize the system. If you notice the filter is swollen or you are having problems with seal leaks, it is likely the pressure is too high in the case drain lines.

If you already know you have a weak travel motor or other symptoms, let that be a guide on where to start looking.

A full series of pressure testing and cycle times should be performed to find any weak circuits to also help guide you toward the problem area.

The swing motor just happens to be the "weak" spot in the system and is the first place high case drain pressure will affect.

Please let me know if you need further help on this.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician