Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Forklift model# CGC40 and I am having issues

I have a Clark Forklift...
I have a Clark Forklift model# ***** and I am having issues turning. The steering wheel is hard to turn while sitting still but gets easier when driving. It also works better when idled up. I think it might be a possible hydraulic steering pump issue... Any ideas on how to fix or what to check/look for would help! Thanks
1/6/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Do you know if this unit has a power steering pump separate from the main hydraulic pump? If it has a single pump, ad the hydraulics work ok, there will be a priority valve at the hydraulic pump. This valve is where the power steering gets its fluid. Either the priority valve is not functioning properly, or the power steering cylinder on the steer axle has internal leakage and is bypassing. Steering pressure needs to be checked, and if pressure is good, then the cylinder is suspect.

I believe it has a pump for the steering as well as a main pump.

Then steering pressure needs to be checked, and if pressures are ok, around 2300 psi, then the cylinder needs to be rebuilt.

Where is the best place to plumb in a test gauge at? Is there a gauge port on the pump?

On the outlet port of the pump should be a test port.

I will have to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the info! I’ll let you know what I find.

OK> Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician