Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I need help to troubleshoot a Deere excavator 350G no

Customer Question
Hello I need help...

Hello I need help to troubleshoot a john Deere excavator 350G no hydraulic functions and no drive, engine starts and runs ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Need help to troubleshoot hydraulic issue on 350g excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I checked pilot pressure which is fine but I don't have main pressure in either hydraulic pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's ok

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/5/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Please post your serial number and give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

First check the in tank return filter for fine metal/debris that would confirm a pump failure has occurred. It will look like metallic glitter in the oil and filter. If found the entire system will need to be cleaned out and flushed before a new pump can be run on the machine. Check the pump drive coupling for problem a as well. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Dan thank you for your reply. Now if the pilot pressure is fine that will tell me that the coupling is fine doesn't it? Now this machine has to hydraulic pumps beside the pilot pump, none of them build pressure, can both fail?

They can as if one started to fail producing metal and once the system was contaminated the othe pump failed and possible other components

Is the pilot safety lever, switch, solenoid valve working on the LH console?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked that, the pilot solenoid under the cab gets energized and the pressure flows ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd like to know if those main pumps should constantly be pumping oil every time engine runs or their output is variable and controlled by other kind of features

They are variable displacement pumps that flow varies on demand to the pump control servos controlling the swash plate angle and flow.

Hi, How are you making out with this? Save yourself a lot of hassle by checking that in tank return filter like I suggested. If it looks like glitter the main pumps are bad. I worked for Nortrax, Cat, Komatsu, volvo in the past before going independent. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, I checked the filter is clean hydraulic oil is clean, so I'd like to know how I can check the two main pump pressure, and what the spec is when engine is just idling. what the pilot pressure should be?
thn

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I was called out and dealing with the storms on the east coast. I do not have the actual specs on hand but pilot pressure usually runs between 550-600 PSI range and the mains are going to be closer to around 5000-6000 range if teed in and pump output will not see that in neutral as the pump should be in neutral as far as main pressure but pilot pressure should remain on standby.... Click on this link. Go to around 87 or so on the PDF page not manual page and check in the monitor for fault codes and also check the settings. We want to be sure someone did not mess the monitor panel settings causing your trouble....

Manual

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan I teed the line out of pilot pump and pressure is within spec and as I said previously pilot switch is ok but I cant check the main pumps pressure, can that reading be obtained electronically from the monitor? what I did I disconnected a high pressure fitting and it barely pours oil out so I don't have main pressure but I cant go further with troubleshooting here as I don't know what is the main pumps pressure at idle with no load and how can I by pass pilot pressure just to see if the pumps are ok coze neither has pressure
thnx

You should be able to get into your pressures from the monitor panel. I have not pulled them from the G series from the monitor as I have not had to so I do not have the access procedure off the top of my head unfortunately other than attachment setup but was long ago. Scroll through to see if it will pull up and if not I can check Monday to see if I can get the procedure on it. Run through the operators manual on the monitor section in the meantime. Are there any fault codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no trouble codes and I can't get to any screen that will show me live data

Thanks for the update. I will need to either see what I can gather tomorrow on this or I can opt out as well in case someone else has the procedure for your monitor panel before hand.... Let me know

Dan, Technician