Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Deere 2010 w/power steering. I recently rebuilt the…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 2010 w/power steering. I recently rebuilt the engine. Also replace a shift fork in the constant mesh tranny. This require the removal of the hyd pump. I was very conscious of the need for cleanliness. This pump worked very well up to this point. Once I started running the tractor after the rebuild I don't have power steering, and the loader is jerky going up. The three point lifts jerky also. The higher the RPM the slower these components work. The hoses to the loader valve pulsate. If I idle the tractor the hyd's will raise but very jerky. I have not tested the pressure (no guage) or the flow also (no guage). Once its warm if I shut it off for half hour or so the hyd will work well for the first stroke or two. I did remove the pump and opened it up. There is no scarring, scratches, worm tracks or anything that jumps out at my limited experience to determine the pump is failing. The filter is clean, there are no leaks-to the outside at least. This model seems to have a bad reputation however I've owned it for 35 years and used it hard in the hayfield. That tired engine was well earned. I'm hopeful there is a simple repair. Thanks, Jim

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

If it helps my email is:***@******.***

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

He may have question(s) of something I didn't cover, but it really is just the hyd issue on my end.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The pump is sucking air, causing the jerking. Look for loose or damaged hose or fitting on the suction to the pump. Suction lea will not show as a leak, as air is being sucked in.

I don't have down pressure either. The only intake line to this pump is an orffice on the face plate of the transmission surrounded by a seal (o-ring). The pump is a married unit with the front plate of the tranny.

Pump mounted o'ring leaking?

I've removed the pump two or three times now. I replaced the O-rings each and every time with new ones. There are like 5 O-rings in the marriage, 3 smaller dia and 2 larger dia. The intake from the tranny has a steel sleeve for the I.d. of the o-ring as well as it's recessed into the tranny housing. Once this o-ring is squeezed (correctly if I did my part right) I can't hardly imagine it allowing air to draw in. The other O-rings should be leaking as they are under pressure I would think.

What about the pumps shaft seal?

Well before I opened the pump up it was working just fine. I actually don't remember much of a seal when I opened it up. But I certainly did not replace that seal either.
Admittedly I have been installing this pump through the access hole on the bottom of the bell housing. Not a lot of room, and big hands don't help but I don't feel any O-rings laying in the bot***** *****ke as if they fell out from install.
I might add that the steering is very hard to turn. It doesn't jerk it's just flat hard to steer the tractor. Maybe that also is air I don't know.

All related to the air in the pump, get air problem solved, steering will work. When you went into the transmission, was there a suction tube to the pump area that may be leaking?

No suction tube. I just verified it in the parts breakdown. I'm thinking I'll have to split the tractor and replace all such O-rings and seals again. I don't know how I could put that pump in 3 times with new components and never solve an air intake issue.

Seems simple enough!

You did check and clean the filter?

Sorry I am at work and had to answer a radio calls.Yes I have checked and cleaned the filter. Splitting the tractor may seem simple enough but: have to remove the loader, electrical, fuel, fuel tank, battery as connection bolts are behind battery box, throttle connections, governor linkages, then wedge front half so it doesn't tip side to side and control from above so it doesn't tip forward or rearward as it's rolling away from the rear section. Simple enough perhaps, but very time consuming and I am all alone with this mess. I was really hoping for an answer that could have solved the problem from underneath.

I understand your frustration, I can opt out and see if anyone else has an idea.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you still need help with this or did you get this resolved? For some reason this got lost in the archives. Let me know if you still need help or if resolved get this closed out.

Dan, Technician