Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an older Hitachi EX60 URG. Excavator. I was using it…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Hitachi EX60 URG. Excavator. I was using it and it was cold outside. The controls started jumping when I was operating it. Then the hydraulics just stopped working. The blade will still raise and lower, but no other hydraulics will work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Is anyone going to talk to me?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/2/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Your symptoms point to a potential pump failure as the blade is a separate pump. Check inside the hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris confirming a pump failure has occurred. It will look like metallic glitter in the oil and filter. Check for a pilot pump failure in the small pilot element and main pump failure in the main return hydraulic filter. also check the main and pilot pressures for low pressure or loss of either pressures. Check the pump drive coupling for problems as well. We can follow up as needed here.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Do you know how to test the pump to see if it is bad? Do you know how much the counterweight weighs? Does it have to e removed to take the pump off?

The fastest way to confirm a pump failure is to open up the existing hydraulic filter and also the pilot strainer near the tank as I mentioned. You are looking for metallic glitter. Be sure the pump drive is turning the pumps and if the filters are clean a flow and pressure check is needed to confirm a failure but if fine metal is found .... stop.... that confirms a pump/component failure. The system will need to be cleaned out thoroughly before running a new pump.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.