Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2011 290 LC. There is a metalic tap sound when i fully

2011 290 LC. There...

2011 290 LC. There is a metalic tap sound when i fully extend the stick and reverse the contol to retact it. Notice it on the boom lift to a lesser degree. It also seems there is some free play at all the cylinders which shows as bucket bounce while free or like wize on the stick

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2011 290 LC. 1FF290GXVBD705122

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

About 8700 hours

Pins all appear in good shape. Had the stick cylinder checked
12/28/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi My name is***** heard when the arm/stick is extended, with ch work equipment on the ground lightly move the control lever back and forth in the center of travel and fulcrum point where the weight/resistance/load is taken off the component or function. This is where there is no tension on the bucket or arm, etc. Try moving in both directions and duplicating this noise with someone watching the pin locations for any play. If okay try moving the machine up and down on and slightly off its own weight to look for play in the swing bearing between the car body and track frame. Check the same for swing and at the tracks. Let me know. We can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Watch the bucket links/dog bone for play and for side to side movement.... If found the connections can be shimmed to remove the play if the pins and bushings are good.

I have done all those checks. It’s more complicated than that. Almost seems to be afree flow of oil to and from the control. Would you be able to send me a picture of which valves to check at the control

Komatsu, Deawoo, Hitachi, Hyundai, Volvo, etc? Each of these make a 290 LC Where are you hearing this noise? through the hydraulic system like a valve or accumulator noise or external clunking on the attachments?

LC -7, LC-8, etc depending on the make?

Hi, Do you know which make machine this is? For some reason I only see the model posted with your question. I will need this to know which manuals to pull...

What makes you feel there is a "free flow" of oil through the control valves? Are you familiar with load sensing hydraulic systems and do you have pressure test gauges? If so have you taken pressures on this machine yet to confirm if they are in OEM specs?

This machine has a Hitachi pump but i am not knowledgeable about the valves. Tried to find the source of the sound but can’t pin it down. It is not a clunk but a tap most likely from thr hydraulics. Of course the bigger problem is the free play that leads to bouncing when not under load. 2011 john deere 290 1FF290GXVBD205122I apologize for my limited knowledge but the machine is along way from service and would like to repair myself if possible.
No. I have not done any tests. It is just my observation that there is movement back and forth to a small degree. Wouldn’t have thouhgt that would be normal but i could most cetainly be mistake.

Thanks for the update. Now this movement is it noted that the piston rod is slightly moving in and out of the barrel before stopping like a shock absorber?

Some movement is normal as the oil compresses and the accumulators in the system absorb the shock to prevent damage to other components but and excessive amount can be from worn piston seals, fluid bypass in the control valves from scoring or wear or a relief valve that is sticking or has failed o rings or other damage. Visual inspection is required to inspect these.

Click on this link to access the parts catalog for component identification, etc

Parts

the movement is at the rod. Brandt sugested it was the arm/stick cylinder so i removed it and took it in. $2000 later it was found to be ok. Was hoping to check out the most likey valves for the things you just listed but needed a little direction on where to start. Hopefully i will be able to do that with the link you sent.

Excavator hydraulic systems are very complex and can be challenging for even the experienced technician to troubleshoot a problem. Outside of inspecting these components visually in the control valve, pressure test gauges will be needed and the shop manual with full pressure specs and hydraulic schematics to isolate the problem to corner it.

Dan, Technician