Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2004 caterpillar 287b track machine. Joystick

Customer Question
control. When going forward, I...
I have a 2004 caterpillar 287b track machine. Joystick control. When going forward, I let go of joystick to center position to stop and the machine comes to a stop but also turns to the right. Then it takes a second to go again or go backwards. I’m used to our bobcat which has instant forward tobackward controls. This seems to have a delay as well as the turning to the right when stopping. This only happens while going forward. Reverse stops equally.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
12/28/2017
Mechanic: Jeremy, Technician replied 6 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I don’t normally work on these, but I can try to assist you where I can. Did you still need assistance with this? Or do you prefer to work with a tech that knows the equipment better?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. I’d prefer to work with somebody who has experience with this problem on this machine or similar machines that use the same mechanics. Not sure if cat skid steers use the same as others.

I'll opt out for someone that knows it better and list to top of board for you.

Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I see no one has given an answer, I'm not familiar with the joystick control either. But with a conventional unit, the levers at the drive pumps would be out of sync. To adjust you would remove levers at the pumps, crank engine and pumps will go to neutral, then the adjustment to linkage is made to match the levers. With the joystick, you may have potentiometer that would be the adjustment.

From what I read the 287b does not have potentiometer. You’ve helped me tremendously before with my bobcats. This caterpillar machine is a different beast. Do you know anyone in this network that is a cat mechanic? Specifically on joystick controls in that model?

No, There may be one, but they have not answered, but have you tried to adjust at the pump levers?

Not yet. I’ll try that today and see what happens.

OK>