Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 287 skidsteer that I just installed a snow plow…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a cat 287 skidsteer that I just installed a snow plow and I can not figure out how to initiate the aux. hydraulics

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

287 not sure about the serial # just bout the track loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying but I don't have any manuals so I just try all the switches

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did check the fuses

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
sorry i installed a snow blower not a plow and the guy that sold me the machine said he never used the aux. he said the loader it has high flow but there are only 2 oil lines where i thought should be more for the high flow
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
identification #CAT00287LCNY00650
12/26/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If all the fuses are okay and relays . I found this bulletin as well. Are you getting any response at all for the AUX?

Auxiliary Hydraulics and Self Level "Never Successfully Calibrated" Status Notice{7000} Caterpillar

Compact Track Loader: All

Multi Terrain Loader: All

Skid Steer Loader: All

Introduction

This communication is for dealer awareness only. There is no machine issue.

Problem

The factory calibration for auxiliary solenoids and self level will display in Caterpillar ET Status as "Never Successfully Calibrated" upon machine delivery. This situation may cause some dealer confusion or drive unnecessary work.

Solution

Awareness that the auxiliary hydraulics and self level (if equipped) are in fact calibrated on all machines leaving the factory. The production process however uses an external stand-alone system to calibrate the system, rather than Caterpillar ET. Because Caterpillar ET is not used for this calibration, the status cannot update to show completion.

No action is required on the part of the dealer. The first time a machine is field recalibrated for any reason the status will update with the time stamp at which the calibration finishes successfully.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Wish you and yours a great holidays. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

I don't understand how this its gonna fix my hydraulic pressure for the snow blower,maybe you don't understand my problem . There's no oil pressure coming out of the 2 auxiliary lines for the tools

Problem 10

The auxiliary hydraulic system is not functioning.

1. The switch for the hydraulic shutoff valve is in the OFF position.
  2. The auxiliary circuit switch is not functioning properly.
  3. The fourth function control is not functioning properly.
  4. The platform harness, the cab harness, or the harness for the pilot operated hydraulic control ( work tool) is not functioning properly.
  5. The modulating valves are not functioning properly.
  6. The orifices for the pilot operated hydraulic control ( work tool) are clogged.
  7. The control valve ( work tool) is not functioning properly.
  8. The work tool is not functioning properly.
  9. The harness for the work tool is not functioning properly.
  10. The ECM or the software is not functioning properly.
  11. The line relief setting is too low.
  12. The auxiliary circuit connections are not fully engaged.

Auxiliary Hydraulic Does Not Function in Either Direction

SMCS - 5005-038-EA

Top of Form

System Operation Description:

Press the switch (A1) in order to enable the auxiliary hydraulics (A1). Press the switch (A2) in order to enable the auxiliary hydraulics (A2).

Illustration 1

g00778870

Schematic of the circuit for the auxiliary hydraulics (A1 and A2)

The schematic is associated with the following machines:

216 (4NZ1-2499)

226 (5FZ1-5199)

228 (6BZ1-699)

236 (4YZ1-3999)

246 (5SZ1-3999)

248 (6LZ1-999)

Illustration 2

g00785974

216 (4NZ2500-UP)

226 (5FZ5200-UP)

228 (6BZ700-UP)

236 (4YZ4000-UP)

246 (5SZ4000-UP)

248 (6LZ1000-UP)

252 (FDG1-UP)

262 (CED1-UP)

267 (CMP1-UP)

277 (CNC1-UP)

287 (CNY1-UP)

Note: Check for any diagnostic codes that are displayed on the Caterpillar ET before performing the following Test Steps.

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION FOR A1

1. Enable the machine.
  1. Press the switch (A1) .

Expected Result:

The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) should be active.

Results:

• OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) are active. Proceed to Test Step 2.
  • NOT OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1) are not active. Proceed to Test Step 6.

Test Step 2. CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION

1. Enable the machine.
  1. Push down on either the A1 switch or the A2 switch.

Expected Result:

The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) should be active.

Results:

• OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are active.

Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The auxiliary hydraulics (A1 or A2) are not active. Proceed to Test Step 3.

Test Step 3. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE SWITCH

1. Press and release the auxiliary hydraulic switch (A1).
  1. Observe the status on the Caterpillar ET.
  1. Press and release the auxiliary hydraulic switch (A2).

Expected Result:

The switch status should have changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.

Results:

• OK - The switch status changed from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status. Proceed to Test Step 4.
  • NOT OK - The switch status did not change from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status on both A1 and A2. Proceed to Test Step 5.
  • NOT OK - The status of either A1 or A2 did not change from the "CLOSED" status to the "OPEN" status.

Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Auxiliary Hydraulics Does Not Function In One Direction".

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK THE OUTPUT OF THE ECM

1. Remove the floorplate in order to get to the ECM.
  1. Locate the wires P978-GN and L998-OR coming out of the ECM.
  1. Enable the machine.
  1. Push down on the A1 switch.
  1. Measure the voltage from wire P978-GN to wire L998-OR. Measure the voltage on the back side of a connector or by penetrating the wire insulation.

Note: Two people will be needed to perform the measurements. One person will need to occupy the seat in order to keep the machine enabled. The other person will take the measurement.

Expected Result:

The voltage should be greater than 10 VDC.

Results:

• OK - The voltage is greater than 10 VDC.

Repair: The problem does not appear to be electrical.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 VDC.

Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen match the machine's options. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen are installed correctly. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the test steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

Test Step 5. CHECK THE SWITCH CIRCUIT

1. Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
  1. Press the switch (A1).
  1. Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 53 of the wire harness connector.
  1. Press the switch (A2).
  1. Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 62 of the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:

The resistances should be less than 5 Ohms on both of the readings.

Results:

• OK - The resistances were less than 5 Ohms.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistances were greater than 5 Ohms.

Repair: The circuit is open in the wire harness and/or the connector. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE AUXILIARY CONTROL

1. Actuate the auxiliary control.
  1. Observe the status for the auxiliary hydraulics on the Caterpillar ET.

Expected Result:

The amperes for the auxiliary hydraulic status should be displaying values that are greater than "0.00".

Results:

• OK - The ampere for the auxiliary hydraulic status is displaying a value that is greater than "0.00".

Repair: If there is no diagnostic codes that are present, the problem does not appear to be an electrical problem.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The ampere for the auxiliary hydraulic status is displaying "0.00".

Stop.

Click on this link to access illustrations one and two... I thought this posted for you... Not sure what happened but run through these checks and let me know the results. We can follow up as needed on here

Illustrations

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Hi, I see you viewed my last response but no reply and both the files I uploaded for you have been downloaded as well as I posted all the troubleshooting info for the AUX hydraulics from the manual. Professionals are not employees of the site and only get credit from the site on positive feedback and accepted answers. I took the time to pull this information for you and upload it, etc. in good faith to help you out. Is there a reason this is still left open with no rating?

Hi Dan , I am sorry not getting back to you but i didn't have time to look at the loader however i plan to get to in the next couple days and hope that everything will work out.Didn't forgot about you.

Thanks for the update Daniel. Keep me posted.

Hi Daniel, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.