Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a cat 287, my maint guy is on vacation, i replaced fuel…

Customer Question
have a cat 287, my...
have a cat 287, my maint guy is on vacation, i replaced fuel filter wont start. i believe air may have gotten in system. i filled filter with new clean fuel. What steps would i take to bleed any air out of the fuel system?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/14/2017
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 4 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi Frank

I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

crack the injector lines loose at the injectors

crank over 10-15 seconds intervals resting 15 sec

not to burn the starter out, when the bubbles are gone

from the fuel tighten the lines hold the throttle wide open

until it runs smooth and then back off slowly

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

there are no other places to purge air then at the injectors?

Hi Frank

Thank you for the response

some have a bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter housing

the cat is up on a mountain, when i asked the question and asked to high detail it is because i want all possible info before i head up there,if icome down without it it will be because i tried everything possible. please take your time to respond with as much information that you can possibly provide, pictures diagrams schematics tips, all of it.

Hi Frank

I understand what you are talking about

also, bring a can of WD 40, spray that into the air filter

that will help get it started

the best place to bleed is the injector lines

really no other places to bleed or pictures

here is a pic of the engine fuel lines

I hope this helps you

ok in gonna head up in about 30 min, wish me luck!

Hi

Good luck, you will not have any issues

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you ??

HI

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to respond to me

Have a Merry Christmas

Wayne, Journeyman