Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I bought a Caterpillar E120B Excavator not working. Found…

Customer Question
I bought a Caterpillar...

I bought a Caterpillar E120B Excavator not working. Found out that its a 24 volt system and needs 2 batterys to start. Anyway all the functions work except for the tracks. When pushing sticks forward and /or back it seems to want to move. The excavator moves about an inch or two, then something seems like is locking the tracks so the maching cannot go forward or back. What do you think is problem, I have little experience with this machine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Machine has been siting for years not running

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/8/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

How was excavator transported and moved? Were the tracks free? The planetary axles on each track may be disabled, so tracks don't drive, but freewheel. Check the drive on each side and see if the outer covers have been off.

The machine is 50 miles away. I will check covers, however if you read my question correctly, the machine moves an inch or two when stick handles are pulled.

Do you have any idea if it was driving before, or it was freewheeled to load?