Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a 2000 D6R Caterpillar Dozer that starts but won't…

Customer Question
Hi. We have...

Hi. We have a 2000 D6R Caterpillar Dozer that starts but won't stay running. It starts with starter fluid, runs for about 30 seconds and then dies. Any idea what the issue could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok, thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to fix it ourselves. The oil filters were serviced a few weeks ago and only has about 2 hours on them since it was serviced.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/8/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

What is the complete serial number of this tractor?

How did this problem begin? Did you make any recent repairs?

Is the fuel tank full? Is the supply line valve open? Are the fuel filters new?

Have you checked for the free flow of fuel from the tank to the water separator?

Is the primer pump working? Do you have fuel from the return line going back to the fuel tank?

Do you have any fault codes or warning horns sounding? If equipped, is the ground level shutdown switch off?