Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a 1968 580 ck case backhoe w/ model 33 backhoe

attachment.. the swing floats freely...
have a 1968 580 ck case backhoe w/ model 33 backhoe attachment.. the swing floats freely left to right manuallly by hand and will only swing about 75 degrees.. the cylinders are re-built. it works hydraullically running. but w/ lever in neutral, its a free floater....
for curtis
12/7/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

580K should have poppet valves in the sections of the valve body. This is the swing section and shows the poppets and springs. These should be closed and would keep the boom from swinging when the valve in neutral position, Look for broken springs or damaged poppet valves.

mine has a swing crisscross relief and and a high pressure secondary relief on it ...which one would have the poppets

The poppets are load checks, and should be separate from the relief valves

it has secondary high pressure relief..that i took apart -can't find anything wrong. and a swing cross relief. that are seperate, but no poppets on the valve.....the valve looks completely differnt from that one

No other plugs with springs and valves behind them? Picture of the valve you could attach. Trying to identify Case 580 series valve from 1969 seems to be problem.

You have parts or service manual, showing the reliefs?

yeah seems that way.. i have a picture of mine and just found that there is a singlle load check valve on the opposite side of the hoses called a load check valve, has one for each of the six stacks....... i'm a guessing that is going to be the culprit....you think??? all the rest of the valve steck works great!!

Worth a try, you can always swap it to check.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
got it fixed mr curtis b........believe it or not, someone had the hoses to the two cylinders hooked up wrong...set them like the print and wallah , it works perfect..my friend at hydraulic shop needs credit for that solution...he had the same thing years ago and remembered... took him a week to find it....thought i would pass that info on...have a great day!!!

Good job! Thanks for the update! Never considered that it was hosed wrong, I assumed it was working and had quit!