Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 420 D that will only go forward when put into 3rd…

Customer Question
I have a 420...

I have a 420 D that will only go forward when put into 3rd gear it you put it into any other forward gear it will not move. when it is putt into revers it shakes the machine and the drive train locks up and will not even roll

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

*CAT0420DJMBH00215*

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The machine was used by the military previously so it has a 12v/24v electrical system.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/7/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to help if you still need assistance.

Have you drained the oil, pulled the screen and cut open the old filter to inspect for damage, metal or other contamination issues?

What oil are you using in the transmission?

Is the diagnostic indicator on? Is it showing a flash code? (possible flash sequence 11 to 79)

How many hours are on this machine?

No worries. I'll check when I get to work tomorrow

Ok, thanks. I will be available tomorrow night and I will look for your reply.

Have you done any troubleshooting on this issue yet?

If so, what have you found?

Just checked fluids. Looked for any apparent damage to any wires

You should at least pull the transmission filter off and cut it open to thoroughly inspect the media for debris. If you find it is heavily contaminated, the transmission has failed and will need rebuilding/replacing. If you find some debris but are not sure it is the issue, it is still a good idea to drain the oil and inspect it for metal/debris or other contamination. An oil sample analysis could be helpful too. Once it is drained, pull the strainer and inspect it. The strainer will show the most details of the failures inside the transmission if you have any issue.

NEVER use any type of ATF fluid in this transmission. Only use the CAT TDTO grade or equivalent 30W.

Do your service manuals show how to retrieve the fault codes from the diagnostic light for the transmission?

Some machines have this indicator inside the right step storage compartment. Did you see the indicator light?

Do you have the CAT ET service program? Have you used it before to view fault codes on this machine?

We just received this machine. Has less than 300 hours on it. It has just been sitting in a military storage yard. I will check the filter today and see what I find. You say never use atf and to use 30w. What does atf do to it?? What would be the proper 30w. The closest cat dealer is 5 hours away. Something we could refill it with from a local parts store?

Napa has a TDTO 30W oil that matches the CAT oil well. ATF will slip and not cool the clutches. It can even cause them to fail.

Verify the oil level is correct when running and not when the engine is off. It can vary widely from off to engine running reading. Since this is a powershift transmission, I am not certain how much it can change but, read the instruction on the stick to verify the correct way to check the level.

Do you have any manuals for this machine? What about CAT ET? A special version was to be available for all branches of service.

Thank you I will check the filter then change the oil just to eliminate that from the equation. No I do not have CAT ET or the manual for the machine

The dealer should have someone available to help with your Training group and get you setup with ET program. Of course, charges will apply but, it is something you should have with any of the newer CAT machines. Most dealers have done work with military machines so you can reach out to them for help too. Ask for their technical support group to get help with troubleshooting.

The bases I have been to recently had so very weak training manuals for these machines so, I do understand you not being familiar with these. Civilian versions have an Operators book in the back of the seat or in the storage compartment. It may even have a parts book on CD you can download to a PC. A CAT service manual will be expensive but, if you can get one ordered it is well worth having.

Look in the right step storage box, you may find a diagnostic red LED lamp and that is to view faults with the power shift transmission. If you do not have this, you will need CAT ET to view the codes. Normally, a fault indicator will be ON somewhere on the gauge cluster when you have an ECM fault. The ECM is under the floor of the cab. You will need to remove the flow mat to access the cover plate and it is attached to the bottom of the plate.

Only having 3rd forward is strange so I am concerned the transmission is damaged. I look through the manuals I have an could find this issue related to anything like a "Limp home" feature.

I will look into the manuals and et. As well as look for the indicator in the battery box. There are no lights on the dad on that shouldn't be on. When you shift it into reverse it shakes the tires back and forth like it's going into reverse but still stuck in third. It literally locked up the drive train and will now even let the machine roll down a hill

That sounds like you have a mechanical failure inside the transmission. If nothing is on the filter or screen, this was a sudden impact failure.

If you find lots of debris, then it was more of a wear issue as it was grinding against something internally.

A sudden impact failure could be from shift reverse to forward at high speed or driving into a solid object at high speed.

Back in my day, if we found the machine was abused, the operating group had to pay for the repairs from their budget.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician