Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat 246 skid steer suddenly would only start and run by…

Customer Question
My Cat 246 skid...

My Cat 246 skid steer suddenly would only start and run by holding the key in the start position. I pulled the solenoid off the backmof rhe

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I pulled the solenoid of the back of the fuel pump, now it runs but no hydraulics. Park brake switch light is on and when you hit the switch it goes out but no hydraulics.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Actual it is a cat 248 skidsteer with hi flow hydraulics, i am wondering whether the solenoid is good and its something from the key switch or perhaps a bad earth.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/3/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your serial number?

Hi Dan, stuart here in rose valley australia.248 cat skidsteer, serial number 6Lz00573ThksStuart

Hi Stuart, Your symptoms sound like a safety interlock circuit problem. Check your safety switches and wiring as well as the park brake switch. Verify continuity of the wiring and for a failed or disengaged switch that would disable the machine functions. Let me know we can follow up as needed on here. I believe I should have some diagrams to help as well. I will check for you

Click below.

Troubleshooting

Also let me know if you might be interested in file sharing and viewing the schematics if needed. We can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Will check and let you know what i find thks

Pleasure to help

i have not had time to check, once I have had a look at the safety circuit I will let you know result.thks

Sounds good. Pleasure to help

Hi Dan,have checked the safety circuit as best as I can. When safety bar is down and park brake switch pushed all lights are out.
when I life the bar the light for both come on. Is there a switch under the sit to cut out hydraulics if the weight comes off it?

Hi, Thanks for the update. Yes there is a switch under the seat. Make sure nothing is wedged under the seat preventing the switch from engaging and that the switch tests good for continuity as well as the switch wiring.

I have checked the switch, pulled the wires off and bridge them with a wire, assuming the switch activates the circuit by completing the circuit?Still the same, could the fuel solenoid if it was defective play a roll in the safety circuit? Maybe I need to fold the cab backand check that the pumps are driving?? Maybe the drive plate has shattered?

Thanks for the update. A failed drive coupling or stripped is a known potential problem as well if you have no hydraulics at all. unbolt the small charge pump, disable the fuel shutoff solenoid to prevent starting, crank the engine and see if the main pumps are turning. Let me know

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Hello,I see this is still open with no response from you. I am trying to close out my open questions and get them resolved. If you have resolved this please let me know. Im not an employee of the site and my time is valuable as is yours. The site only credits me a portion of the question value on accepted answers and positive feedback. I see neither has happened here. I took the time to post and research this information for you. Could you do the same for me?Take the time to either post a response with a status or leave a rating if your problem is resolved? It's been a pleasure to help.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?