Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have cb434D flash code 12. Cb434D. Catcb434pcnh00462. And…

Customer Question
Have cb434D flash code...

Have cb434D flash code 12

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cb434D

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Catcb434pcnh00462

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes and changed the new control handle assembly

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/2/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful.

Here are details on the fault code.

1-2 "CP_Prop_Hndl_Flt"

Refer to Diagnostic System Procedure, "Propel Control Position Sensor - Test"
Propel Control Handle: PWM signal from handle sensor is out of valid working range.
Sensor is transmitting internal fault signal. Incorrect calibration.
Open circuit. Short to battery or ground.

System Operation Description:

This flash code is associated with the Propel Control Position Sensor. The Flash code 1-2 means that the Machine ECM has detected a level-three fault for the sensor. The PWM signal from the handle sensor is out of the valid working range.

Note: For the CB-434D and CB-534D models, a flash code of 5-2 may also display. For the CB-564D model, a flash code of 5-5 may also display. This additional flash code indicates mismatching signals from the Propel Control Position Sensor and the Propel Control Proximity Switch. Address the 1-2 flash code first. This may correct both flash codes.

Note: Before performing this procedure, inspect the harness connectors that are involved in the circuit. Poor connections can often be the cause of a problem in an electrical circuit. Verify that all connections in the circuit are clean, secure and in good condition. If a problem with a connection is found, correct the problem and verify that this flash code is active before performing this procedure.

Possible causes of this fault include:

•Sensor is transmitting internal fault signal

•Open circuit

•Short to battery

•Short to ground

•Incorrect calibration

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR POWER AT THE SENSOR.

A.Do not disconnect the harness connector from the sensor.

B.Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the ON position.

C.At the back of the harness connector for the sensor, insert a 7X-1710 Multimeter Probe along the voltage supply wire (contact 1).

D.Measure the voltage from contact 1 to frame ground.

Expected Result:

The voltage is 12 volt.

Results:

•OK - The voltage is 12 volt. Proceed to Test Step 2.

•NOT OK - The voltage is not 12 volt. The + battery circuit in the machine harness has failed.
Repair: Replace the machine harness or repair the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK FOR PROPER GROUND AT THE SENSOR.

A.The machine harness remains connected to the sensor.

B.Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

C.Remove the 7X-1710 Multimeter Probe from the voltage supply wire (contact 1).

D.At the back of the harness connector for the sensor, insert a 7X-1710 Multimeter Probe along the ground wire (contact 2).

E.Measure the resistance from contact 2 to frame ground.

Expected Result:

The resistance is less than 5 ohms.

Results:

•OK - The resistance is less than 5 ohms. The ground circuit is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.

•NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 ohms. The ground circuit in the machine harness has failed.

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK THE WIRING HARNESS OF THE SENSOR FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT.

A.The key start switch and the disconnect switch remain in the OFF position.

B.Disconnect the machine harness from the sensor.

C.At the harness connector for the sensor, connect a jumper wire between contact 2 and contact 3.

D.Disconnect the machine harness connector from the ECM.

E.At the harness connector for the ECM, measure the resistance between contact 24 (wire K708-BU or wire 710-GN) and contact 1 (wire 200-BK).

Expected Result:

The resistance measurement is less than 5 ohms.

Results:

•OK - The resistance measurement is less than 5 ohms. The circuit is correct. Proceed to Test Step 4.

•NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 ohms. The circuit is not correct. There is an open circuit in the wiring harness.
Repair: There is an open circuit in the wiring harness. Repair the wiring harness or replace the wiring harness.

STOP

Test Step 4. CHECK THE WIRING HARNESS OF THE SENSOR FOR A SHORT TO THE +BATTERY CIRCUIT.

B.The machine harness remains disconnected from the sensor. Remove the jumper wire that was installed in the previous step.

C.The machine harness connector remains disconnected from the ECM.

D.At the machine harness connector for the ECM, measure the resistance from the signal contact 24 (wire K708-BU or wire 710-GN) of the machine harness to all contacts that are used in the machine harness connectors for the ECM.

Expected Result:

Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms.

Results:

•OK - Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 5.

•NOT OK - One or more resistance measurements is not correct. There is a short in the machine harness.
Repair: The short is between signal contact 24 (wire K708-BU or wire 710-GN) and the circuit with the low resistance measurement. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 5. CHECK THE OUTPUT OF THE SENSOR.

A.Reconnect the machine harness connectors to the ECM. Reconnect the machine harness connector to the sensor.

B.At the back of the harness connector for the sensor, insert a 7X-1710 Multimeter Probe along the signal wire (contact 3).

C.At the back of the harness connector for the sensor, insert a 7X-1710 Multimeter Probe along the ground wire (contact 2).

D.Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

E.Measure the signal of the sensor. The duty cycle of the signal should be approximately 91% in the Forward position, 9% in the Reverse position and 50% in the Neutral position. The frequency of a valid signal for CB-434D and CB-534D models is 505 ±10 Hertz. The frequency of a valid signal for CB-564D and IRH models is 488 ±100 Hertz.

Expected Result:

The signal from the sensor is valid.

Results:

•OK - The signal from the sensor is valid. Proceed to Test Step 6.

•NOT OK - The signal from the sensor is not valid.
Repair: The sensor has failed. Replace the sensor.

STOP

Test Step 6. CHECK IF THE FLASH CODE REMAINS.

A.Inspect the contacts of the harness connectors and clean the connectors.

B.Reconnect all harness connectors.

C.Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

D.Operate the machine.

E.Check the status of the flash code.

Expected Result:

The flash code is active.

Results:

•YES - The flash code is active. The flash code has not been corrected. The ECM may have failed.
Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the problem is not found, contact the Technical Communicator for your dealership for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. If the ECM requires replacement, see Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

•NO - The flash code is not active. The flash code does not exist at this time.
Repair: The initial flash code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

If you need further help, please let me know.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

Hello, Was my answer helpful?

Did you need anything else on this issue?

Please let me know how I can help if you need assistance.

Hello again,

Please let me know if my answer was helpful or if you need more assistance.

You will need to return to the site to reply, I cannot answer emails.

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician