Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have 420E Cat backhoe that will not start. I just recently…

Customer Question
I have 420E Cat backhoe...
I have 420E Cat backhoe that will not start. I just recently replaced fuel pump because fuel cut off was bad. But now im getting fuel to the injectors, and still wont start. It will start with ether but then cut off.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/30/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

If you loosen the injector lines or line, is the fuel squirting or just dribbling? Do you get smoke from exhaust when cranking/ If no smoke and fuel is just dribbling, the fuel shutoff is not opening the fuel passage? Is it getting battery voltage?

Fuel is dribbling out of injectors, at one point one injector was squirting. When im cranking the machine no smoke at all. Have not checked battery voltage

Fuel cutoff is not opening!

Are you familiar with the wiring. Which wire is the hot and which is the ground, And where does that wire come from.

Solenoid gets power from the key switch , as soon as the key is turned on, Not sure which is hot or ground. I thought there was only one wire, and the solenoid grounded through the threads where it screws in

there is two wires that go to that solenoid. And from there it looks like it goes to the ecm for the fuel and injectors. This machine has two ecm's. This is a some what of a new machine, and has a common rail fuel system.

Too new to me. Let me opt out and see if someone else can help, I'm thinking of a much older 420! sorry.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Ricky, My name is***** is the serial number prefix for your machine? Are there any fault codes logged in the ECM?

Serial # 420ECPRA00841. This machine does not have a display where you can see the codes. You have to hook up computer to pull codes.

Yes, Cat ET on a laptop. This engine is common rail. Possible causes are: Loss of power or ground to the ECM, Loss of engine speed sensor signal to the ECM, Low fuel supply pressure from leaks/restrictions/faulty pump, faulty ECM, etc. check for these initial things but Cat ET will be needed to pull codes and check parameters in live data

This has a common rail system, when you want replace the fuel pump, do you have to time it and put it top dead center.

Hi, sorry for the delay. I was away for a couple days.

Note: A new fuel injection pump is supplied, locked in the correct position. Do not unlock the fuel injection pump before installation.

1. If the fuel injection pump timing has been lost, it is possible to reset the fuel injection pump timing. Follow Step 1.a through Step 1.e in order to reset the fuel injection pump timing.

1. Loosen locking screw (22) and slide spacer (21) to Position (AA). Tighten locking screw (22) to a torque of 9 N·m (80 lb in). This will prevent the locking screw from tightening against the shaft of the fuel injection pump.

The fuel injection pump is now unlocked.

1. Position Tooling (E) onto the shaft of fuel injection pump (1). Align the lever of Tooling (E) with Keyway (Y) and engage the lever into the keyway.

Note: The lever of Tooling (E) should be a close fit in the keyway. If the lever is a loose fit in the keyway, it is not possible to reset the fuel injection pump timing.

1. Rotate the shaft of the fuel injection pump and engage the pin of Tooling (E) into Hole (Z) .

The fuel injection pump timing is now set in the correct position.

1. Loosen locking screw (22) and slide spacer (21) to Position (BB). Tighten locking screw (22) to a torque of 9 N·m (80 lb in). The locking screw is now tightened against the shaft of the fuel injection pump.

The fuel injection pump is now locked.

1. Remove Tooling (E) .

Illustration 2g01801934

Typical example

1. Inspect Bore (X) in front housing (20) for damage. If the bore is damaged, replace the front housing . Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Housing (Front) - Remove" and Disassembly and Assembly, "Housing (Front) - Install".

1. Use Tooling (F) to lubricate a new O-ring seal (17). Install the O-ring seal onto fuel injection pump (1) .

1. Align fuel injection pump (1) with front housing (20). Carefully install the fuel injection pump to the front housing .

Note: The fuel injection pump should be supported by hand until the bolts are installed.

1. Install bolts (18) and new sealing washers (19). Tighten the bolts to a torque of 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

1. If necessary, use Tooling (A) in order to rotate the crankshaft so that number one piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. Refer to System Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Centre Position for No.1 Piston".

1. Use Tooling (B) in order to lock the camshaft in the correct position. Use Tooling (C) in order to lock the crankshaft in the correct position. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Gear Group (Front) - Remove and Install" for the correct procedure.

1. Install the fuel injection pump gear to the fuel injection pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Pump Gear - Install" and refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Gear Group (Front) - Install".

Note: Ensure that the fuel injection pump is unlocked after the installation of fuel injection pump gear is completed.

1. Install the front cover. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Front Cover - Remove and Install".

Illustration 3g01566973

Typical example

1. Position support bracket (14) and install bolts (15) finger tight. Install bolt (16) finger tight.

1. Tighten bolt (16) to a torque of 44 N·m (32.5 lb ft). Tighten bolts (15) to a torque of 22 N·m (16 lb ft).

Illustration 4g01563276

Typical example

Illustration 5g01563275

Typical example

1. Install the banjo bolt and new sealing washers to tube assembly (8). Install tube assembly (8) for the oil feed to the fuel injection pump. Tighten the banjo bolt and the nut to a torque of 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

1. Install a new fuel injection line (5). Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Lines - Install".

1. Install new sealing washers (12) and banjo bolt (13) to tube assembly (11). Tighten the banjo bolt to a torque of 21 N·m (15 lb ft).

1. Connect plastic tube assembly (4) to fuel injection pump (1) .

1. Connect plastic tube assembly (9) to fuel injection pump (1) .

1. Connect plastic tube assembly (10) to fuel injection pump (1) .

1. Connect harness assembly (6) to solenoid (3). Connect harness assembly (6) to position sensor (7). Slide the locking tab into the locked position.

1. Connect plastic tube assembly (2) to fuel injection pump (1) .

1. If necessary, install the crankcase breather. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Crankcase Breather - Remove and Install".

1. If necessary, install the fuel priming pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Priming Pump - Remove and Install".

1. If necessary, install the fuel filter base. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Filter Base - Remove and Install".

1. Turn the battery disconnect switch to the ON position.

1. Turn the fuel supply to the ON position.

Remove the air from the fuel system. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Fuel System - Prime" for more information

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician