Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a d8 46a 27099. I am going to change the trans and…

Customer Question
I have a d8...

I have a d8 46a 27099. I am going to change the trans and torque divider oil. What is the recommended oil weight and type, can I use 15-40 and how do I prefill the torque divider?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat d8 46a27099 powershift trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/25/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The old spec was for CD grade 30W oil and engine oils would meet that rating.

Multi-weight oil can meet this but, transmission oils are much more preferred.

Use CAT TDTO 30W or Allision C4 equivalent. You will need about 31 gallons.

The transmission pump will refill the torque converter, draining it helps flush out any trapped debris.

It is best to clean both screens at this time. Bottom rear of converter housing and right side of the engine, near the hydraulic pump.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

Please return to the site to reply and rate my answers. I cannot respond to emails.