Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 163H that won't go in reverse in any gear. All…

Customer Question
I have a Cat 163H...
I have a Cat 163H that won't go in reverse in any gear. All gears going forward work fine. Tried swapping solenoids on the control valve still no reverse. All pressures check good on the test ports on control valve. Any ideas where to go from here?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/21/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, thank you for requesting me.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Do you have the 4C-8195 control box to help with troubleshooting the electronic controls?

Did you try taking ohm readings from the ECM through each solenoid circuit?

Please post the complete machine serial number with your reply, I will need it to research the correct information.

Checked for fault codes with CAT ET there were none. Unfortunately no I don't have the control box. Took ohm readings on all 8 solenoid circuits which checked good according to the specs on SIS. The machine serial number is:5AK00250 Transmission Serial #:4LY00555. Just got back from the machine and lifted the wheels off the ground with the implements and put it in reverse. With it lifted the wheels do start to slowly spin and trying different gears I can feel it change gears but it never really picks up much speed. It seems like there is not enough pressure getting from the control valve to the reverse clutch yet the pressure checks good at the test port for the reverse solenoid circuit. Is it possible that a spool is sticking in the control valve not allowing pressure to the clutch?

Solenoid could be sticking, I have seen some get bent. I have also seen no voltage come from the ecm. Check for voltage or amperage from the ecm to the solenoid. I have had two bad ecms that would not supply current and did not send a code. Just died on that circuit.

Have 26 volts to the reverse solenoid when reverse is activated. Also have swapped it with the Forward 1 and Forward 2 solenoids with no difference.

Some machines had an issue with sticking valves but, most of that was solved in later versions. Have you sampled the oil and checked the filter and screens?

The only letters I can find date back to 1998 and 2004.

Problem:

There have been a limited number of reported reverse (#3) clutch failures. The reverse clutch is retained on the shaft by a pair of 6Y-1115 Half Rings and a 6Y-1114 Tanged Washer. Under certain operating conditions, the half rings and tanged washer are rotating. This rotation causes wear on the half rings and the 9W-9901 Hub Assembly. When the wear is significant, usually above 1000 hours, the friction disc at the end of the hub assembly can fall off resulting in loss of all reverse gears.

PROBLEM

The directional clutches can fail due to wear on the clutch hub assembly and the half rings that retain the hub to the shaft on certain 12H, 120H, 135H, 140H, 143H, 160H, and 163H Motor Graders. The wear is caused by the half rings rotating in the shaft groove. A different retention method of the hub assembly can be installed on the directional clutches to prevent wear.

Haven't checked the screens or filter yet and oil sample is on the way to the lab along with the engine and hydraulic samples. Unfortunately the machine came from auction and have only had it here a few days so don't really have any idea about the history of the problem. I'll check the screens and filter in the morning.

I did a quick history check and it looks like this machine left the US in 2012 and did not have any warranty repairs posted.

Sold in North Dakota. No reports after that time. No updates shown for transmission. One repair for a leak is the only thing I find.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician