Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat mini excavator that is beginning to make some…

I have a cat mini...
I have a cat mini excavator that is beginning to make some noise in the center pivot area, and it seems like it's straining. I would like to know what maintenance I should do and how it is done on that particular piece of equipment for this issue.(see red arrow)
11/18/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Please post the model ans serial number of your machine. If the machine wont swing without noise and strain it can be a faulty gearbox, swing motor, or swing bearing between the machine house and track frame. Let me know further details on the symptoms.

Thanks for your reply Dan. I believe the model number of the machine would be a 304HO? I have attached a picture with what I believe is the model number printed on the machine. Please let me know where the serial number would be found on this model. I would like to first begin with an oil check or greasing of any of the three items you mentioned above, if that can be done. Please tell me where the grease fittings or dipstick (if applicable) would be located. I know regular maintenance has been neglected here. Their may well be faulty Parts as well, but I would first like to make sure it is lubricated.

Thanks for the update. there are grease fittings around the swing bearing between the track frame and machine house( upper portion/cab). Also center of the machine there is a swing gearbox that should have a dipstick. Let me know

Thank you again for your response. Can you be more specific regarding the exact location of the grease fittings and dipstick, the only reason I ask is, it is Caked Up with dirt and muck in that area, and knowing where to look could mean the difference between spending hours digging through this crap, or just minutes trying to find these things. If you have a picture that would be great also. Whatever you can provide. Thanks.

Do you have an operators manual with this machine? Sometimes they are in a compartment or behind the seat.

I checked, no manuals with this machine

Click this link for reference.

Swing bearing grease fittings

The swing gearbox will be behind the base of the boom with the swing hydraulic motor mounted on top.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician
Now we're talking, nice job!

Pleasure to help