Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a case skid steer and recently the alternator light…

Customer Question
I have a case...

I have a case skid steer and recently the alternator light came on and is alarming. The unit starts, has a good battery charge and the alternator is putting out power as far as we can tell with the probe light. What else should I be looking at?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a model 1840. Where do I locate the serial number on the machine? FYI I am not mechanical. My husband bought this used and unfortunately died earlier this year, so I am trying to figure out basics on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just I am very unskilled in this subject, but open to learning.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/18/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Have the battery tested with a digital tester for internal problems such as bad cells, internal shorts, low CCA, or other problems. If okay verify 12 Volts engine off and them with the engine running you should have around 2 volts above battery voltage while testing using a digital voltage meter at the batteries. A good charging system will show somewhere between 13.5-14.5 volts running and at the alternator while testing. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago

Hi, I see this is still open, Please take the time to rate to close. I took the time to help you, please return the favor by rating my answer or responding for more help.