Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I. I have a Cat TH514 Telehandler that has broken the left…

Customer Question
I have a Cat...

I have a Cat TH514 Telehandler that has broken the left tilt compensation cylinder upper pin & mount fixture, twice. I will not fix it again, until I find out why it is breaking. My theory is random restriction of oil flow , out of the cylinder. When it breaks, the right one holds the load, no problem. Any ideas ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/11/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I don't get to work on many of these machines as I use to but, if you will post the complete machine serial number I will be glad to review it for recent service letters related to this issue.

Have you had any other failures with this machine? Has the oil been tested for contamination?

TH514 , ser. # TBW00191
oil is fine, no other problems. Ive looked at the parts diagram, there are no valves in the tilt circuit. The problem has to be in cylinder or line before the tee to the right cylinder.
My machine can't be the only one that this has happened on, but the company has been a dead end, so far, in figuring it out. they want me to put a new boom on, $20,000, crazy

I am sorry, none of the information for the TH514 will appear for me on any regional search. I have not had this problem before and since I haven't researched a TH514 before, I don't know if it is something new or something I am blocked from. Very strange though.

The older machines did send the oil through a flow control valve and that could get trash in it causing a problem but, I don't see why it would affect only the one side.

The tilt cylinder normally has a lock valve and if this is restricted, it could cause higher than normal line pressures to operate the leveling system.

Since I cannot even research the parts books for this machine, I will OPT-OUT of this question so others can see it. Hopefully, someone else has seen this issue before and can help you better than I can.

ok, thanks
I think they have a weird problem/ flaw, on that machine and don't want to admit it, to avoid law suits , or something. It may just be something floating in the cylinder, that randomly blocks the outlet. Since the cylinder is ruined, I think I will open it up and see if something is in it.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. I do recommend starting by opening up the cylinder for a failure analysis in case something is found and noted leading towards the cause of failure. Any pictures you can upload will be great. We can follow up as needed on here.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?