Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1988 Cat 416 Backhoe. Recently while digging the…

I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 Cat 416 Backhoe. Recently while digging the boom suddenly seemed to loose most of its lifting capability. It can barely lift itself but if the extended part of the stick isn't out or there is no dirt in the bucket it can BARELY lift at best. All of the other hydraulics seems fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 416, serial number 5PC05714

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was using the hoe to lift the back of the machine and "skootch" it back away from the hole when it suddenly seemed like it just stopped having power. If I get dirt in the bucket and swing it side to side it won't drop at all unless I pull the boom lever to try and lift. If I pull the lever it "slowly" drops so I don't think it's the seals in the boom cylinders.

11/9/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Try this simple test.
Move another control lever to the fully extended or retracted position, like the bucket and hold it in that position. This will apply a load to the pump. While holding this load on the pump, operate the boom control lever. If power returns to the boom cylinders, you have failed resolver seals and they need replacing.
This is common on older machines as heat and age destroys the seals.
Let me know what you find and how you wish to proceed with repairs.
Try this simple test.
That does not correct the problem. I can bring in the stick and curl the bucket with full power and the boom still has very little lift capacity. In fact, if the boom is fully down and the stick is extended the boom can't even raise it's own weight but if I bring in the stick it takes weight off the boom cylinders and will rise (thanks to the force of the stick against the ground) as long as I am holding the boom lever in the up position. If I am not holding the boom lever in up position then the stick won't lift the boom since the valves are closed for up motion in the boom. Oddly, by using the stick to apply pressure this way allows me to raise the boom almost fully, then I open the stick and swing side to side with dirt and as long as I don't touch the boom lever the boom won't fall but if I do try to raise the boom while swing the boom SLOWLY falls.
My cell phone doesn't get very good reception where I live so even though it might be a good idea to talk on the phone I am not sure how successful we will be.
Sorry my phone reception is weak too. I am also sorry for the late reply, I am out in the field working and my time is limited.
Have you tried loading a loader function and see if the backhoe improves? I still believe your issue is resolver seals. When I get home I will send you some information about testing the resolver network of the hydraulic system...

Attached is how to check the resolver network to find the problem resolver check valve.

I believe you have multiple failed seals and that is why the boom is acting so strange. I recently had this same issue on a 416 and found six blown seals.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17iqmvLpsgXIg8QZGhqXg6LyFyE8GgwgP

The seals can be replaced in the machine but the bottom cap will need removing to access the primary resolver assembly. Be extra careful when removing the secondary resolver in the back side of the valve. The chack ball is loose and can easily be lost.

I work out in the field during the day and if I have access I check messages during my break. Otherwise, I can chat at night. I don't do phone calls as you will still need documentation for the most assistance on how to make repairs.

Please let me know how I can help you if you run into any problem with this.

Thanks, ***** ***** try that since I don't recall if I ever tried while holding a different valve at full position to make the pump bring pressure to it's max. By the way, which stabilizer is right or left? I presume they mean sitting in the seat looking forward even though you use the stabilizers while facing backwards. There is no need to call me. You have been helpful and if I need additional help I will request you because you seem very knowledgable.

The direction is normally called by the work orientation. So, when you are using the loader, the control lever is to the right.

When using the backhoe, your left hand is on the boom and swing with you right on the stick and bucket control. (Standard BHL pattern)

When facing backward you orient the left and right to your position since you only use stabilizers with the backhoe.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician