Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Case 590 sl tractor backhoe moves ok when first started,

Case 590 sl tractor...

Case 590 sl tractor backhoe moves ok when first started , gets warmed up stops moving any guess ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

590 super L construction king 1996 case backhoe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried a charge pump ,helped a little but didn't fi the problem , operator push snow last year in third gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

11/8/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Have you removed and cleaned the transmission strainer? See the link below.

ok lets assume I did that and same results ,next step ?can I call in morning when other mechanic is available ? or even Friday ?

next step would be to use gage and run pressure test on the forward and reverse clutch packs. will not be available for call, will be in hospital with wife.

is it possible the torque converter got overheated and burnt ? I,m not sure where to test clutch pacs ? I'm not seeing them in the parts book breakdown, hope everything works out ok with your wife

Torque convertor can be worn to the point, it will not pull, but not the usual problem. Has transmission oil been drained and the oil checked for any metal that would indicate a large amount of aluminum from convertor ?

I will have my guys check that in the morning , its been jut sitting in the yard since late last winter , like I said start it up you wouldn't think anything wrong run it 10 mins and stops moving

You say the transmission pump, driven by the torque converter was replaced? Still sounds like pressure is dropping.

y guys called it a charge pump it was outside someplace they did not take anything part transmission wise

Looking back at the 590-SL, 1996 year, it has no charge pump, just the main transmission pump, driven by the torque converter.

I don't know what they changed I didn't see one either but I didn't want to sound too dumb , so I guess my choices are change the filters ,probably cut them open to see if any metal I guess it becomes pretty major , pull transmission , change torque converter , I suppose the metal could come from the clutches ? ug ! also ?

First check the strainer!

okay will you be available to email tomorrow night ? they will pull it tomorrow afternoon

Yes, I will be on line.

okay it will be around 6 pm est

OK>

Looking for Curtis in regards ***** ***** case 590 backhoe with transmission problemsfound transmission oil pretty well full of steel fillings

Not good, so you have internal parts failing, and will need repair.

do I need the whole transmission and torque converter ? ugh

No, you need to replace the worn and damaged parts.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician