Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 416 1993 vintage I have been having problems…

I have a Cat...

I have a Cat 416 1993 vintage I have been having problems with the neutral switches (I think) took it to Cat and naturally it would not malfunction . about 30 minutes in to the next job it would not move ? played with the switches and it worked for a few min. and currently it backs up fine , starts good except it wont go forward, I really never use these switches so I would be okay with disabling and only use the forward reverse lever . Is this a good idea ? Brent L

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

416C SN 5YN4887 it may be have been built in 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just looking for advice , I don't use the neutral switches and would like to go back to basics, can they be disconnected with out causing other problems? Thx

11/6/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Yes, this can be done but, I must review your electrical schematic to find how this machine is wired.

Some are only a ground but, other power different circuits.

Allow me a few minutes to find this information...

Ok, Your machine powers the transmission shuttle shifter through these switches.

If you think the switch is the problem, just install a jumper wire at each one to complete the circuit and bypass the switch.

If you are not certain the harness to each switch is in good condition, you will need to connect the white wire from the loader neutral switch (marked 123) to the white wire to the transmission neutral switch (marked C933) to complete the power circuit back to the shifter.

You could do this at the 4 pin connector near the engine/transmission harness to platform harness.

If you feel the platform harness could be damaged, splice a wire from the transmission fuse in the steering column fuse panel to the shifter control terminal #1 white wire.

The fuse wire out for the transmission is the white 123 wire and the power into the shuttle shifter control is the white C933 wire. This will eliminate any other harness problems.

Also, verify the transmission lockout switch is not failing. This switch connects a blue wire (marked C720) to the control for safety lockout at pin # 12. It only is in lockout when power is sent on this circuit.

If you need further help, please let me know.

I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

Were my answers helpful?

Do you need further assistance with this problem?

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician