Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a valmet 544 ex forwarder that will not turn to the…

I have a valmet...

I have a valmet 544 ex forwarder that will not turn to the left but goes to the right just fine. the pressure from the main valve body to the hydraulic cylinders reads 1000psi to one side and 2000 to the other

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

11/6/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Are you checking in the line going to the cylinders? If you are the low cylinder has internal leakage and is not holding the pressure.

it is articulate steering the pilot valve in the cab has the same amount of pressure going to the valve bodyI'm checking and the valve body outlet to the hyd cylinder. if it turns one way with a bad cylinder why wont it go the other direction

The leak may be on the piston to rod seal, and the cylinder seals when it has pressure on the lower side.??

what do you mean by the low cylinder? do you think I should pull both cylinders off and and put new seals on both of them

Meaning the one that had the low 1000 reading. You can remove the return hose and pressure the cylinder and see if there is internal leakage, Just bottom the steering to the weak side, and remove the return hose, on one cylinder, pressure the cylinders, and if the open port pours out oil cylinder is leakage If it comes from the hose, the leak is in the other cylinder.

ok the 2 cylinders are operated off the same line at the valve body there is just a T in the line. so I don't see how you can tell which cylinder could be bad. from my experience I have had one cylinder completely fail on other pieces of equipment but the other cylinder was still able to steer the machine. but it seems like there is a problem in the valve body not putting enough power out in the one direction

Can you swap hoses, for test, to see if it changes direction? Trying to determine if bad cylinder or control valve,??

that's A good idea ill try that tomorrow. ive read there is problems with valmets an the orings in the valve body going bad

OK> let me know the result.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Thanks!