Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I just purchased a Kamatsu D20P-7 with 1650 hrs on it. It…

Customer Question
I just purchased a Kamatsu...
I just purchased a Kamatsu D20P-7 with 1650 hrs on it. It has been sitting for a while. The right side operates as it should. The left side only operates sometimes. I drove it for approx an hour ( in a circle). It freed up for a while. Next day same thing. Tried adjusting steering lever rod as well as under the seat. Forums all have different ideas. Tired of guessing who's right. Can you help?
Ser #77750
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/6/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Let me know more details on the symptoms. For steering both sides should drive and then the clutch is released to stop one track while the brake holds the same track for steering. What we need to know is if both tracks drive (check in soft material) and if so is it one side wont release the clutch to allow steering on one side or is one side not driving at all?

If one side is not driving at all it usually points to a failed steering clutch unless you have final drive gear failure. Let me know. We can follow up as needed.

The left side will drive periodically. I can work the steering lever in and out and sometimes it will drive that side but not very long. When it is driving there is no slipping. This is true in forward as well as reverse. Wondering if steering brake is sticking. Don't know that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the update. If the linkage is okay and even adjustments on both sides then check the clutch release pressures for both sides in case one side is dumping off pressure or a valve is sticking holding pressure on one side keeping the clutch released. If not, drain the clutch housing and look for metal/friction material indicating a failed clutch. Let me know

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.