Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat d3b crawler, ser. # *27Y03441* and I need to…

I have a Cat d3b...
I have a Cat d3b crawler, ser. # *27Y03441* and I need to adjust the steering. I have had it adjusted twice but not by experienced mechanics, and it keeps losing adjustment.
11/4/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I have attached files to show how each rod should be adjusted and the details for proper brake adjustment. When everything is normal, only the brake band screw will need adjusting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzUkF5bmo1ZmJ1X3c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzVlplN0pBby13U28

If you need more help with this, please let me know.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

I think the drawing you sent was for a 23Y machine but mine is a 27Y so the configuration is different.

Yes, the instructions are from a 23Y manual but, the steering and brakes are the same for all D3B models. 23Y,24Y, 27Y, and 28Y.

These instructions should work the same for both unless I am missing something?

Please let me know if you have something different from this and I will be glad to look again.

Do you have hand controls too?

Customer support sent me a picture. Your tractor matches the information I have sent but, I will add a later version too if you think this is wrong.

D3C adjustments.>>>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzeWIxc0pzVjg0eTQ

Actually it is the brake band hanger that I cannot relate to diagrams.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry but, I am not familiar with the term "brake band hanger" are you referring the brake band anchor bolted to the bottom of the frame case?

What do you need help with? Is it damaged? Can you refer to the step in the instructions that is giving you problems?

Was anything repaired recently? Do you have a part number of the item in question?

Please describe the issue you are having with turning. Is it driving straight and not turning when you apply the pedal?

Or does it stop driving the track and the brake will not stop the track for a sharp turn?

It is very important to know if the steering clutch is releasing before the brake applies. The pedal should travel about half way and the track should release. Test this by pushing against something and press the pedal to feel when the steering clutch releases and the track stops turning. If the track continues to drive, the problem is with the steering clutch control and not the brakes. You are likely slipping the clutches and damaging them and the brakes.

The brake adjustment is the only thing needed on a regular basis and you should feel clicking when you tighten the brake adjusting screw (#4) in the brake drawing.

Please let me know if this is your problem or how I can help you further. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Actually I have difficulty in several places/I don’t know if you got the photo I sent but the linkages under seat and dash are adjusted to length. I cannot see the brake drum so I cannot adjust the length of rod 3. And there is no free travel for the clutch to disengage before brake is also applied. I don’t see how to advance clutch linkage ahead of brake.

Ok, thanks for the details. That explains a lot about your problem.

The brakes are likely fine. If all your rods are to the correct length then the most common issue is with the steering release control valve cam and roller assemblies.

What you need to do is remove the steering control valves and replace the cam assembly, the shaft for the cam and disassemble the steering valve to replace the roller bearing on the end of the valve stem. It must be disassembled to remove the alignment pin and then you can rotate the stem shaft to allow driving out the roller retaining pin.

I will attach instructions to show you some of this.

Also, I will attach your photo edited to show you where to access brake adjusting screw #4. Remove these covers and then you can adjust the brakes correctly.

Always remember to have the steering clutches releasing before the brakes apply or you will wear out the brakes or slip the steering clutches causing them to fail early.

Attached below are the instructions for the steering valves. It is the same as the D3C as well.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks, CATMASTERTECH

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzYUcwUGc5RW41NU0

Thanks, ***** ***** have a close look at the clutch release assembly. But I am not sure that I have the brakes adjusted correctly yet. In looking at your figure, rod 5 is not exposed on my machine-I presume it is located under a massive deck plate; one on each side. So I don't know how to determine a length of 13.11". I have not yet located by brake adjusting screw, 4, but I will look for it now that I have a location from your figure. And on brake band support screw, I don't have a lock nut, but it looks like a 1" hex inside a protective ring. I assume this is the correct location-my machine was built in Japan if this has any bearing. Thanks for your assistance and L look forward to getting my machine back in usable condition.

Yes, rod 5 is under the cover so, I would think it is safe to assume no one could mess with it and it would likely be to the correct length.

Rod 4 has a small oval cover to the front and offset slightly to the outside with only two bolts. This is the main brake adjusting screw and your B model has to cover plate were as a C model has an external adapter.

The HEX has a spring against it and this is the "lock" that will click when you turn the adjusting screw.

All of these are built in Japan. A few have made it here from other regions but, your serial number is ***** US model.

I suspect this will solve problem. The machine is at our ranch so I won’t get another shot at it until this weekend. But thanks-I think I am on the right track now.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

If you need more help on this, please feel free to contact me again.

Also, please provide a rating for my answers.

I am glad I could help you.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician