Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I got a champion d600 graded with Detroit and a drmco 9138…

I got a champion d600...
I got a champion d600 graded with Detroit and a drmco 9138 transmission I was pushing some dirt and nothing hard and I raised the blade and stepped on clutch put it in reverse and let the clutch out without coming to a complete stop but wasn’t rolling basically a crawl it wouldn’t move so I tried forward again. And i has to rev it all the way up and it will go but it won’t carry a full load reverse will grade like normal but it seems like a hyd pressure problem, what type of oil should I be using in itbim getting conflicting answers and is their any additives I can put in it or thicker oil to make it work to get it hm so I don’t have it take the transmission out where it sits
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/23/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** an internal mechanical failure you will likely have metal/debris in the filter and oil as well as the suction screen. Also check the oil for dark discolored oil or for burnt smell. Let me know your findings as if found there is no oil, etc that will get this machine to move other than towing it out of there unfortunately. We can follow up as needed.

How can I send you video

You can upload it to Youtube and provide me the link. We can try that

Sounds like you lost pressure in the clutch packs.... Have you tested for pressure to see if it is there and if it drops off in gear indicating excessive internal leakage? That is what I would check for.

35-65 is where I checked the pressuer off of a port on the shifter rev Low and High is all in same valve it’s a twist shift

That is way low for any transmission. Does that drop off when changing gears?

When it moves the pressuer gets up to 80 lbs but idle is 35-60 and every time I shift from low to heigh it it moves from detent switching in and it Doesn’t matter it has to be wide open throttle to make it engage in any direction in reverse it pushes the reverse gear in place and is y it still has to be rev ed way up but once it goes into reverse I can grade like normal except going in reverse so maybe the clutch pack is bad and they don’t make parts for it somenone told me Volvo uses same clutch pack not sure

Thanks for the update. Volvo bought Champion as far as I am aware. Check for signs of metal or friction material in the filter and suction screen that would flag a failure. also take a look at the control valve spools for scoring or sticking from debris, etc. Let me know

Dan, Technician

Hi Did you get this resolved? I was just following up to see where things were with this?