Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a hitachi ex200 -3, it has been sitting for about 6…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a hitachi...
Hi, I have a hitachi ex200 -3, it has been sitting for about 6 months , when I start it it is under load , like full hydraulic load , this happened in the past but usually freed up in 10 or so minutes of run time , this time it doesn't want to give in , can get the machine to track but that's about it , it will choke the engine if I try boom up or down , any ideas ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/20/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Dave. My name is***** is a symptom of a pump failure occurring. Check the in tank hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris that would confirm this. It will look like metallic glitter in the oil and filter. If found, the complete hydraulic system and all components will need to be thoroughly cleaned out and inspected for damage from contamination. Let me know the results and if you need more help.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Hi Dave, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I let the machine sit for a few days , started it and it released the hydraulic lock , moved it to a job where I will be installing some heavy items and will use it as a crane for a few days , then I will have time to take the filter out and cut it open for inspection ! So until then I'm not sure if it is a pump problem or maybe just a valve , it operates just fine right now

Thanks for the update Dave. Just keep in mind if you have a pump failing and producing metal every lever, function, or attachment used is getting direct contamination and debris from the failing pump or component each and every control valve port that opens the passage to send it that way until the machine is dead where it sits and then all components ( cylinders, valves, drive motors, etc need to be disassembled and cleaned out before running a new pump which would fail from contamination if this is not done. There is an old saying out there....("Penny wise, Pound foolish") It is your machine. You do what you wish but if this is a pump failure you will be wishing you invested in the 90-100 filter to know before destroying a complete hydraulic system worth thousands and more than the replacement cost of the machine to repair. If this is happening then it should not be run or it will be worth more in scrap iron as opposed to the repair cost of a contaminated system. Keep me posted.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.