Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Caterpillar D250E Serial# 5TN01600 I am looking to find info…

Caterpillar D250E Serial# *****I am looking...
Caterpillar D250E
Serial# *****I am looking to find info on the secondary emergency steering system as it does not work and i am looking to fix it. Where is the pump for the emergency steering? Does it run on an electric motor?
10/12/2017
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Let me research for more details and I will post back soon.

Yes, I believe the E models were all electric pumps with a flow switch and also a manual test switch on the dash.

Have you checked for fault codes? Please list any you have to help with troubleshooting this problem.

602 F03
681 F03
702 F02
707 F03
707 F05
709 F05
I am only looking for location of pump if electric to add a manual switch

I am sorry, this serial number is ***** a Series II and does not have an electric secondary steering pump.

It only has the mechanical pump attached to the rear of the transmission output transfer gears.

It has a steering pressure switch and a secondary steering pressure switch to work with the monitor system but no overrides that I see.

Supplemental Steering

Supplemental steering will operate automatically if the machine steering fails while the machine is moving. It must only be used to steer the machine to a location where it can be stopped.

To test the supplemental steering system for correct operation.

The machine must be towed a distance of no more than 50m (160 ft) with the engine stopped, at a speed of 8Km/h (5 mph). Refer to the topic "Towing" in the operating section of this manual for the correct towing procedure.

Turn the steering wheel to the left and right while the machine is in motion.

If the machine responds to the steering input the supplemental steering system is operating.

If there is no response the supplemental steering system is not operational.

Stop the machine immediately. Ensure that any repairs necessary are carried out and the supplemental steering system is operating correctly before returning the machine to service.

Alternative Test for Supplemental Steering System

Note: Periodic testing of the supplemental steering system may be a regulatory requirement in some areas.

Note: Caterpillar recommends testing the supplemental steering system at 500 hour intervals.

Note: Make sure that the braking system is fully serviceable before testing the supplemental steering system.

Note: Contact your Caterpillar dealer if you need assistance in determining the serviceability of the braking system on your machine.

An alternative procedure to test the operation of the supplemental steering system has been developed. The current procedure requires towing of the tested machine. The alternative procedure eliminates the need for the machine to be towed.

Locate an unobstructed incline of approximately 15%. Ensure that the incline is free of hazards.
Make sure that there is no load in the body. Position the machine at the top of the incline. Orient the machine in a downhill direction. Apply the parking brake. The area around the machine must be clear of personnel and obstacles.
In order to charge all air tanks and hydraulic accumulators, run the engine.
Stop the engine when the air tanks and hydraulic accumulators are fully charged.
Turn the key to the ON position. Do not start the engine.
Apply the service brakes.
Release the parking brake.
Slowly release the service brakes and allow the machine to move forward down the incline until a speed of approximately 8 km/h (5 mph) is reached.
If there is no response the supplemental steering system is not operating. Stop the machine immediately. Complete any necessary repairs. Ensure that the supplemental steering system is operating properly before returning the machine to service.

If you need more help on this, please let me know.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Here are your code details if you need them.

602 Transmission P2 Pressure Switch

681 Parking Brake Solenoid

702 Shift Lever Switch

707 Up Solenoid
708 Down Solenoid
709 Lockup Solenoid

FMI No. Failure Description
0 Data valid but above normal operational range.
1 Data valid but below normal operational range.
2 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.
3 Voltage above normal or shorted high.
4 Voltage below normal or shorted low.
5 Current below normal or open circuit.
6 Current above normal or grounded circuit.
7 Mechanical system not responding properly.
8 Abnormal frequency, pulse width, or period.
9 Abnormal update.
10 Abnormal rate of change.
11 Failure mode not identifiable.
12 Bad device or component.
13 Out of calibration.

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician