Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a New Holland L555 skidloader with a Perkins 4.108…

I have a New...

I have a New Holland L555 skidloader with a Perkins 4.108 motor. The hour meter has about 3100 hrs. I bought it used. I don't run it very often. It has started and run whenever I needed up till last month.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Sorry, I sent the message before I was finished. I was running the loader and it idling while I was loading some things. The motor shut off as though it ran out of fuel. The tank was half full. I tried starting it several times with no success. Since I had never changed the fuel filter and I had no idea when the last time it was changed, I bought a new filter, installed it, and bled the system following the Perkins manual. It would not start. I cracked one of the lines at the injector and fuel spurted out when the engine was cranked. It still would not start. I walked away and came back the next day. I cranked it for about 20 seconds and the motor started. I shut it off and started it several with no problems. The motor ran well and I finished the job and parked it. Yesterday it started without problem and I started to do some work. While it was idling it shut off again and did not start. I cracked a line at the injector and fuel came out while the motor was cranked. At this point I don't what to check. I think it's something simple, I just know what it is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do all my motor work, but I have no diesel experience. Looks like I'm going to learn some things.

10/11/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

When you loosen the injection lines, is the fule squirting or just dribbling? Any smoke from exhaust when cranking? If just dribbling, and no smoke, the electric fuel solenoid, is not opening the fuel passage.

I do not see any smoke. I would say the fuel is not dribbling, but I don't know how much fuel should be squirting out. I didn't know there is an electric fuel solenoid, I assumed(I know what that means!) the throttle lever was shutting off the air. I need to look at that very closely. How do I test it?

I assume the engine is killed when switch is turned off? Not a pull cable, or killed by throttle?

The motor is shut of by pulling the throttle lever all the way back.

OK< so it has no fuel shutoff solenoid.

On the top of the injection pump, is a return line and the fitting in the pump is a check valve. Remove the check valve and see if it is working and not plugged with debris.

I went outside to look at the throttle linkage. The rod connected to the pump appears to be working correctly( I don't know why I thought the throttle controlled the air. I'm learning all the time!) I will try to what you suggest, however it is starting rain again and the daylight is diminishing.
It's raining too much for me to work and it's getting dark. I will get back to it tomorrow. Just so I'm sure I'm taking off the correct line, it's the one that goes back to the fuel filter? Is it possible the lift pump isn't working correctly?

OK, send us some rain!

I finally was able to remove the fitting for the check valve. It looks clean down inside the housing where the fitting goes. However, while I had the spring and the plunger in my hand, a very small piece of metal fell out of the spring. I don't know if that is the problem, I'd like to think so. The stray piece of metal was in the spring and I'm not sure how that would prevent the check valve from working. Also, when I went to loosen the tube nut on the check valve nut, it seemed as though it was already a little loose. The same thing happened with the tube nut on the fuel filter, it was already a little loose. Another thing I noticed on the end of the tube that went into the fuel filter, the tube was not formed in a bell like the other end. It doesn't seem like it can make a seal, but there doesn't seem to be any signs of leakage around it. I will start putting things back together. This will take some time. I needed to remove the muffler, exhaust manifold, and some of the glow plug wiring to gain access to the check valve.
Everything is back together, still will not start.
I started looking at the lines and discovered the line from the tank to the filter before the lift pump had a loose hose clamp and the line could easily be pulled off. I fixed that and started pushing the lift pump lever. It did not feel as though it was pumping fuel. I took the line off at the injector pump and continued pumping. Nothing came out and I could hear noise coming out of the end of the line while I pushed the lift pump lever. I hooked up a vacuum pump at the outlet port of the filter before the lift pump and fuel came out. I then hooked the vacuum pump to the inlet line at the injector pump. Fuel came out there. I started pushing the lift pump lever and fuel came out of the line. After reinstalling the line on the pump, I tried to start it. It would not start. I cracked all four lines at the injectors and ran the starter for several seconds. I could see fuel coming out of the back line. I closed up all of the lines and tried to start it again. No start. Still acts like there is no fuel. Is it possible the lift pump isn't putting out enough pressure?

Lift pump is only about 6 lbs. at best. But it has to supply fuel to the injection pump. Either the lift pump is bad, or the suction lines to it are leaking, and the pump is sucking air. Quick test, is to make test line from lift pump, into a fuel container, bypassing the tank and lines up to the lift pump. If you have good flow to the injection pump, and no output to the injectors, the injection pump is stuck in the off position.

I will try that tomorrow. If I have good fuel flow to the pump, what is the fix for an injection pump stuck in the off position?

You either remove the top cover, and free it up, or you have to remove the pump and have it rebuilt!

Engine is running. I overlooked the basic procedure of properly bleeding the entire system. I have the Perkins manual and after reading the bleeding procedure several times I realized I wasn't doing it correctly. I failed to bleed the injector pump the right way. This has been a learning experience for me. Thanks for your help. I need to track down a knurled nut that attaches the glow plug wiring to the glow plug. I managed to drop one while taking it apart. I will definitely modify the hood so it can be removed without raising the lift arms!

Good job! Pleas use the 5 star rating system to close the question.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician