Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Kabota R520 Loader. Customer stated that it was…

Hi, I have a Kabota...
Hi, I have a Kabota R520 Loader. Customer stated that it was leaking hydraulic fluid. Noticed it was coming out of rear diff vent. Looked in the parts manuel and noticed that there is a seal on the LST output shaft and an o-ring behind it (part#R1401-97210 LST seal, 04811-50900 o-ring). I replaced those and replaced the cartrdge filter next to it. drained rear diff and filled with oil. Filled hydraulic fluid and tested good. week went by and now its leaking out of the vent again. Any thoughts? Thanks!
10/11/2017
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is the vent getting plugged or are you noticing the oil level rising, etc?

The vent is not pluged, just hydraulic fluid coming out of it

Is the axle overfilling?

Yup just drain 11 qts of hydraulic oil out of it..the hydraulic res is down 11 qts

That is a sign of internal leakage from either the brake system seals or a hydraulic pump. Let me look up your model to see which components would be the cuplrit

Ok thanks! I also noticed the hydraulic tank has pressure in it when ran for a little bit.

Straight 520 or BH or S at the end?

Straight 520

okay... give me a few to look this up

Okay, if the brake reservoir is full it points to a hydraulic drive motor seal leaking into the gearbox and overfilling it

See the diagram I posted. the brake assembly mounts to the other open portion but a separate reservoir. So if you are losing hydraulic oil it will be the drive motor leaking

I replaced the seal already on the motor #r1401-9721. The brake fluid is full

A new seal wont hold if the rotary assembly is worn out of specs...

Item 020

Ya thats what i was starting to think. I didnt see any wear where the seal rides on the shaft but you are talking about the actual rotory assembly not just where the seal rides correct?

That is correct... If worn there will be excessive case drain pressure and it will overpressurize and blow out the new seal.

Got it! Thanks Dan for all your help!

Pleasure to help.Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Ok no problem. Just one more question. Do you recommend replacing the plate behind it? Its #60
Along with the rotary

Yes I do as they are machined components that wear together.

Dan, Technician