Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Bobcat 943 weak right side drive. Bobcat 943. Trying to fix…

Customer Question
Bobcat 943 weak right...

Bobcat 943 weak right side drive

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat 943

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trying to fix myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have capped off the hydro lines to weak drive motor. Tested 1800 psi

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Tested 1800 psi with forward motion, 4000 psi in reverse. Have swapped relief valves left to right no change.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/6/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** you still need help with this?

Was hoping for a quicker response. But yes still have not solved the issue.

Understood. Im not an employee of the site but it seems the delay may have been no one was logged into the site that was able to help or experienced with your Bobcat problem.

Remove the hydraulic filter and cut it open with a filter cutting tool and inspect a sample for fine metal/debris that would confirm a pump or drive motor/component failure occurring

If clean, check for excessive case drain pressure and compare both sides at the drive motor case drain ports.

Against a loading dock/ Tree/etc to prevent drive, run a hose from the drive motor case drain port to a bucket, slowly engage travel and you should have low volume/pressure of case drain. If high volume or pressure, that drive has excessive internal leakage. Let me know

We can follow up as needed. If Im on the road I will always respond back on my next available login.

Already have done that. All 3 filters cut in half, no metal flakes around internal filter. There is no excessive case drain pressure, gear case tank is not over full. I have taken the drive motors out of the equation by removing them and capping lines. Problem lies in the hydraulic pump. I do believe the valve body in the pump is ok, because I have good pressure in one direction.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like a problem in the pump control valve. The good thing is no metal contamination. That pump section has an obvious problem. Have you gotten into anything with the pump yet or will this be an R an R?

Check the pump control valve for damage, debris, and sticking.

Low pressure in one direction is a faulty pump internal components or a pump that the control valve is not functioning properly or sticking.

I have not removed the pump from the machine yet. Hoping I can fix it without removing pump, although doubtful... I removed the control valve yesterday , it looked ok. I guess it's a metered control valve. Because it will just spin 360 degrees inside the control sleeve.

Click this link. Was there any scoring, etc on the control sleeve or any other issues? There are sleeves available if needed.

Control sleeve

No, it looked good. Where does the pressure come from going to the control valve? Servo?

Thanks for the update. I got called out yesterday. Im not an employee of the site but help as time allows. What is your serial number? Ill see what I can pull up for manuals or diagrams to help when I get back into my office.

I don't know the serial number off hand, machine is at my shop. 943 was not made very long, or popular so not to many manuals.
I have the service manual, but missing a few pages. Doesn't give any info on hydro flow .

Is there a schematic or diagram in there I may be able to look at you have in PDF? It would save some time. I have to head out for a few hours but if you have a PDF file or scan I can view it would save some time

No schematics or diagrams in my manual. I'm missing a few pages from hydraulic section.

Thanks for the update. By chance you have access to a flow meter to flow check both pumps? It sounds like you might be getting into that one pump if the control side can not be fixed or adjusted to correct the problem.

No sir, no flow meter available . All I have is a 10k psi hydraulic guage .

Thanks for the update. Well it is definitely narrowed down to the pump and pump control as your problem. Even with my repair business I prefer to go with reman or have my local hydraulic shop rebuild and warranty any pumps or drive motors so they can be calibrated on the test benches and then the warranty liability is out of my hands.

Dan, Technician