Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

JD330LC-5 excavator won't start, when the key is turned to…

JD330LC-5 excavator won't start...

JD330LC-5 excavator won't start, when the key is turned to the start position the oil light and charge light comes on then a buzzer sounds but the motor won't start from the key and the buzzer and lights won't turn off unless the battery is disconnected.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

John Deere 330 LC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Exc s/nFFo330xo80766

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes there is the odd occasion that the machine will start as normal but the charge light is flashing but goes out when engine speed is increased, voltage at the batteries is 24.9v

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the voltage at the batteries when it does start? You should see charging voltage of 26-28 volts from the alternator and the batteries. Test the batteries for internal problems with a battery tester for dead cells, etc. Check all cables and connections including grounds for corrosion or damage. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed.

Voltage is 24.9 unfortunately it won't start

Thanks for the update. Check the battery relay in the battery compartment connected to the batteries. This makes contact at key on to power all cab and machine accessories. For test purposes verify the small signal wire gets powered at key on and all fuses and cab relays check good. If so the relay when powered by the key switch should make contact of the two large battery terminals to complete the circuit. For test purposes connect the two large terminals on the same relay post to complete the circuit and see if the machine starts...etc. Let me know

Previous to our discussion battery relay has been checked relays in the cab, wiring harness connecting plugs checked,battery connections-cleaned, ignition powers on but won't power off, will check battery relay.

Thanks for the update. The battery relay should disconnect power at key off. If not, test to see if the small signal wire still has power at key off. It should not. If it does, test power in and out of the keyswitch in each position to verify if the keyswitch is shorted internally.

Tried the test on the battery relay, made no change. When I'm on site tomorrow I will check if the relay is still getting power /key off...

If the relay is clicking on for cab ACC power and off at key off then it is functioning. Test all fuses and relays and for power to the engine fuel shutoff, fuel shutoff operation that it goes to fuel on position at the injection pump and check for restrictions and leaks between the tank and pump. Let me know

IF there is fuel shutoff power t the solenoid but the solenoid is not working, replace tha faulty solenoid . Try manually moving and holding the shutoff lever in fuel on position to see if the engine with start.

Fuel solenoid working as it should,
problem still exists

If fuel supply is good to the injection pump, crack loose some injection lines and check fuel delivery while cranking. If weak the injection pump will need to be rebuilt. Let me know

This is not a fuel problem

Thanks for the update... For clarification, will this not even crank over with the starter ? Crank no start or no crank at all?

no crank/start from the key, it's not the starter

If there is no power to the small S terminal wire to engage the starter solenoid check the safety switch and wiring in the LH console. If it is not engaging the starter will not be allowed to engage.

Yeah I guess the problem is the starter solenoid isn't getting power, but then there's the fact that no system check lights showing also a warning buzzer is sounding when the key is turned to pre start position, I will check for a safety switch if there is one.

If the monitor is dead then there could be a loss of power or ground either a wiring harness, fuse, relay or fault monitor/controller. the safety lever switch (LH console) will prevent cranking Veryfy it is functioning and your power and grounds.

Okay

Pleasure to help

Well I don't know, I've tried another monitor and it's just the same, working ignition light and buzzer are part of the monitor, it wouldn't stop it from starting/cranking over. Safety lever checks out okay, relays checked and are working, grounds have continuity, checked the wiring harnesses and there is no signs of damage. I've tested and check all you have suggested without success guess I'm going to bite the bullet and get a John Deere tech out to this machine.

Thanks for the update. I think you need JD service advisor software connected for further troubleshooting and to communicate with the ECU. Keep me posted.

Dan, Technician