Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

On a Sumitomo SH145U excavator if you take off the guards…

Customer Question
On a Sumitomo SH145U...

On a Sumitomo SH145U excavator if you take off the guards between the motor and the main boom, there is a round thing sticking up with multiple hoses coming out of it and a dip stick. What is that dip stick measuring and if it is low what do I put in and where? Is this the dip stick to measure the swing drive case level?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The model is a sh145u. I would have to go look for the serial number

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I'm just trying to figure out how to lubricate the swing gear and wonder if that dipstick is the way. If I could get a maintenance manual it would sure help

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. That is the oil for the swing drive gearbox under the swing hydraulic motor. It wont hold much oil but be sure oil is in the range on the dipstick. most are gear oil but smell and check thickness to verify gear oil. Some larger machines use 30 weight oil instead.

You fill through the dipstick tube and funnel. Small amounts at a time or it will be easy to overfill