Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Deere 310SG back /loader that seems to have an

I have a John...

I have a John Deere 310SG back hoe/loader that seems to have an intermittent problem will slipping out of gear. It works again after I stop and restart the loader.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I have a John Deere 310SG backhoe/loader that has an intermittent problem slipping out of gear. When I turn the tractor off and on again, it works.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need to know if it is an electrical problem and how to fix it.

9/15/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. This could be an internal mechanical problem or possibly electrical. Test power in and out of the shift controller in each gear position and to the shift solenoids which can be accessed by removing the machine floor if the shift controller tests okay. Also test continuity of the wiring to the shift solenoids. If the electrical checks okay, check the oil and filter condition for signs of dark discolored burnt oil and for metal/debris in the filter and oil that would confirm an internal mechanical failure occurring. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

I'll check it out. Today every thing is working great. It only does this once in a while. The oil and filter were recently changed and it looked good. I checked all. The conections and reseated relays and fuses. Can you tell me what voltage to expect on the small wire coming off the alternator? It measures very low voltage. The big wire on the alternator measures 12.6-12.7v.Thanks.

Thanks for the update. The small wire is not a charging wire and I do not have the spec for it but 12.6 is not charging enough. Test the battery with a digital tester for internal problems, etc and inspect, clean tighten all grounds and battery to starter connections. If okay then verify the output on the large terminal at high RPM. You should be seeing 1-2 volts above battery voltage engine running or the alternator is not charging.

Ok, I'll check it out and get back to you.Thanks

Pleasure to help

Dan, Technician
Hi Dan. I checked and re-tightened gnd and power to starter and alternator. When off battery reads 12.55v at battery and alternator. At idle, alternator only reads 12.61v at starter wire and small wire reads .376v. However, when I rev up the idle, the starter wire and small wire read 14.01v and they will continue to hold the higher charging voltage after it goes back to idle. If I turn the engine off, and the on again, It repeats only 12.55v at idle and untill I rev it up, then it will hold the 14.01v charging voltage like before even it it drops down to idle. Is the normal? The folks before me recently put a new battery in the loader. I wonder it the alternator isn't working to spec. I havent been able to duplicate the loader acting like it slips out of drive all weekend. So far, that seems to be ok. Appreciate your help.Thanks,
Herb

Hi Herb, 14 volts is good charging voltage. Sometimes an increase in RP is needed to get the alternator to start charging and it should remain charging once started.

Ok thanks. ***** run into the problem of it not going into gear, as originally reported, I'll consider it resolved for the time being. Perhaps re seating all the plug connections helped.Thanks,
Herb

Thanks for the update Herb and its a pleasure to help