Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Deer dozer 650J no start will crank also no instrument panel

Customer Question

john deer dozer 650J no start will crank also no instrument panel working. All fuses working and relay seems to be functioning
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: all i know is 650J
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes new batteries
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Test power on both sides of the fuses with a volt meter or test light if you have not tested this way already as a visual inspection does not always reveal a bad fuse or poor connection in the fuse holder. If okay test power in and out of the ignition switch in each switch position to confirm the switch is working properly. check for power at the instrument panel and verify ground to see if the panel itself has lost power or is defective and not working. If no power, check the wiring harness and connector pins for damaged or corroded terminals and connections.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
k all fuses checked with key turned on
all good
engine cranks over does not start and again no function to instrument panel
on left side behind arm rest is a light that is red and bellow it is a light not illuminating and reads power
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like where ecu is
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

By chance could you get the serial number? there are two serial number breaks for the manuals... The ECU controller is on the the side next to the arm rest.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
k can possibly later tonight or early tomorrow
i'm thinking ecu must control instrument
panel
connections seem good wonder if it's damaged
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

That controller is for the transmission . There is a calibration and code procedure. If not communicating or powering up it can cause operational issues and possible starting issues. Let me know the serial number so I know if this is an earlier machine or tier 3 etc.

Remove the cover from the transmission TCU which when you are sitting in the seat it is on your left side in the rear.

1 Warm up machine till transmission oil is at least 100 degrees f

2 Make a reference mark next to throttle lever is at 1500 RPMs you will need this during the cal.

3Turn Key Off

4Press and hold decelerator pedal down

Hold CAL button down on TCU and start engine

5Release CAL after engine starts your software number and machine model number will appear after this a P will appear indicating your park lever is in the up locked position

Your Check Service Code Light Will Begin Flashing

6If your sofware number was 600 4E will be flashing on your monitor display wait for it to stop flashing if your software is not 600 disregard this step

7Lower park lever the monitor will flash 4E wait for the 4E to stop flashing

The lever and pedals must be moved slowly trough there entire travel holding at detent or stop until monitor changes

8With engine speed control at low idle remove your foot from the decelerator slowly move the engine speed control to fast idle and hold there till 4E goes out, return trottle lever to low idle.

9The monitor will now display 267

10Press your speed control up then down the 7 will go out

11The monitor will display 26 Slowly move steer lever to the right until the detent is felt do not move past the detent into counter rotate then do the exact same thing to the left the 6 will go out

12Now just a 2 will be on the monitor move throttle control lever to the mark you made at 1500 RPM now slowly move the forward reverse lever fully forward past the detent to the mechanical stop.

13Now the monitor will display 2Lr after 15-70 seconds the left track will move aqnd stop the L will go out next in the same amount time the right track will move and the r will go out

14 Do not move lever until the return FNR to neutral light starts flashing

15When the FNR light starts flashing move the lever to nuetral

16 Move engine speed control to low idle

17 If FrFr are displayed the calibration was good if not repeat calibration

For this part of the calibration you will need alot of room the tractor will will need to travel both forward and reverse at high speed with out turning I would say you will need 200feet both directions if you have a ripper you can lift it off the ground and do this test or securly block the machine up in the air if you don't have lots of room

18Move speed lever to full throttle

19 Press hold the speed control switch up for 5 seconds to ensure max speed is set

20Hold down decelerator pedal move lever to forward slowly release the declerator both of the F's will go out when each track reaches maximum speed depress the decelerator move lever to neutral

21Move the lever to revers and slowly release the decelerator both of the r" will go out when maximum speed is reached

22Depress the decelerator and shift to neutral move engine speed control to neutral

23Press CAL on the TCU once if 1111 shows Calibration was GOOD if not repeat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so not really get the feeling
your understanding it won't start can't warm up transmission
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the confusion. I do understand the no start. I was posting this information as this is how you re-calibrate the transmission controller. I am waiting for that serial number?

Let me know the serial number so I know if this is an earlier machine or tier 3 etc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
T0650JX176343
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the info. You have the teir 3 engine with common rail fuel injection. Double check all fuses and for power/ground at the engine ECM. Click this link for fuse ID.

Fuses, Circuit Breaker and Relays

CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.REMARKS

1T258091Label1(SUB FOR T237504)

2T237503Label1

3AT308380Relay4

457M7688Fuse75 A

557M7689Fuse810 A

657M7690Fuse715 A

757M8641Diode16 A

857M8645Circuit Breaker120 A

957M8646Circuit Breaker125 A

1057M7691Fuse120 A

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Verify good fuel supply from the transfer pump to the injection pump and no restrictions or leaks between the tank and pump and the fuel system rail, etc.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Have it scanned for engine fault codes but first check for the loss of power problem to the panel as it is likely the ECM is not powering and allowing the engine to start. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?If so, Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.