Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2004 cat 268b skid steer serial # lba00393 that I…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 cat...
I have a 2004 cat 268b skid steer serial # lba00393 that I bought used and have had nothing but trouble with the electronics. It has a toggle switch to turn on hydraulics. Have connected a breaker hammer and it will fire a small hammer but not a large one. We have hurricane Irma coming this weekend so I bought a grapple to help with the cleanup. So I need to find out how to get the thumb toggle to work for the grapple. The toggle switch is Jerry rigged directly to the fuse box. I want to see if I could get a fuse diagram so maybe I can Jerry rig the thumb toggle.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/8/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 11 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The thumb rocker switch is a proportional control input to the ECM. I doubt you can configure it to operate the auxiliary solenoids.

The "A" model machines did you a straight push button switch handle and the standard B model would sometimes use the same feature. However, this still ran through the ECM. The image attached has the wiring for the ECM as well and may help you find a way to bypass it.

The button handle is still available, see the attached image for the part numbers.