Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1986 655 A ford backhoe has has jumped timing. How…

Customer Question
I have a 1986...

I have a 1986 655 A ford backhoe has has jumped timing. How do I reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

As far as I know the model # is 655 A. Where is the serial number located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic who has determined it to be out of time. Just can't find out how to set timing. He's next to me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Jumped timing, as in injection pump timing? This model would have a keyed drive shaft for the injection pump, and unless the key sheared, would not get out of time. What is happening with tractor? Won't start? I there smoke from exhaust when cranking?

Won't start. Turns over good. Timing marks crankshaft gears don't line up.

Gear train timing has not changed. You just have to make multiple turns until all the marks will align. How does tractor kill? With key or with pull cable?

Any suggestions?
Don't charge me anything. You did nothing.

If you loosen the high pressure fuel lines at the cylinder head and crank, do you get any fuel spraying? No just dribbling?

Did you find engine out of time?